Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I've said I won't get another Samsung tablet, but this may have to be my next tablet. I need/want a 10" tablet (or close to it) and 64 GB of storage (which this appears to lack) so I'm still holding out hope for a next-gen Pixel-C.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The Galaxy Book looks exciting. I don't think I can justify what the price is likely to be for my own uses, but I'm hoping my husband gives it a try so I can drive him bonkers peering over his shoulder at it and peppering him with stupid questions. :D

Reactions: iSheep5S

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I've got to say, I'm glad that most tablets are finally migrating away from the stupid 16:9 aspect ration (it's GREAT if all you want to do is watch movies).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Guessing the book will basically be a PC type and not have normal play store apps?

The Book models are both Windows PCs. And while I'm still not a fan of Windows, Samsung really seems to have stepped up their game in this area. I have a TabPro S and while I quite like the form factor (quite thin, terrific display and good battery life), and the keyboard is decent (not great but not terrible), the improvements in the 12" Book I quite like. They managed to allow a wider range of view angles without requiring a kickstand on the tablet itself and produced a better quality keyboard/trackpad with what looks like much more space than on the TabPro S. The S Pen also looks to be far better the the bluetooth version they offered (separately) with the TabPro S. It also is capable of receiving LTE, has 2 USB-C ports and can drive 2 4K displays. :eek:

I won't be getting one since I just don't need it but I'm very curious how it's priced and matches up against the Surface Pro.

Pair it with one of these (assuming it's compatible) and I think its a pretty compelling piece of tech.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Tablets depend on software and apps and I don't see how anything running Android comes close to iPad. Do they even have any focus on tablets these days? And I don't even like the iPad.

Reactions: Hastings101

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Tablets depend on software and apps and I don't see how anything running Android comes close to iPad. Do they even have any focus on tablets these days? And I don't even like the iPad.

Yeah, I think Android tablets are a little pointless. Chrome and iOS are much better options for the full tablet form factor, and Windows 10 is getting closer to perfecting the 2-in-1 form factor.

I guess they do fill a niche though for those who want a little bit more customization power than Chrome/iOS can give, but still want a better mobile layout than Windows 10. That's just an awfully specific market though in my opinion.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well to be fair the tab S3 makes more sense to me than the iPad Pro because android is more like a traditional computing OS, file system, support for USB devices like a mouse.

The iPad is the best tablet but the pro model never made any sense to me because it's not particularly pro imo. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard and stylus with the previous non pro models. This is why I've not upgraded from my air 2.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Well to be fair the tab S3 makes more sense to me than the iPad Pro because android is more like a traditional computing OS, file system, support for USB devices like a mouse.

The iPad is the best tablet but the pro model never made any sense to me because it's not particularly pro imo. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard and stylus with the previous non pro models. This is why I've not upgraded from my air 2.

So you can have a file system and a mouse to make it more like a laptop, but how about the apps? iOS is very limited, but it has the best App Store.

The line between tablet and laptop is being blurred by Windows tablets and Android tablets, but with the iPad it's still clear. That's the one thing I like about it, because I already own a 15" MacBook Pro that is not going to be replaced by whatever form tablet they might put out. iPad has apps that work best on a tablet versus a Mac and it does them very well.

The new simple Samsung tablets don't bring much of a solution or something new to this. The Windows versions are like the Surface, which to me is still not a laptop nor a perfect tablet. There's something about a screen permanently attached to the bottom that just works better than a separate screen. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: tbayrgs

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I thought I would post this as if I remember a few on here were waiting for a new Samsung Note tablet replacement.

There was a time when I was waiting for a Note replacement. But they've taken too long and I've now moved on. A Windows 2-in-1 now serves both my laptop and sketching/note-taking needs. Whilst it does not have great mobile apps, for that I have my phone and iPad mini.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Another video:

Have to say that I think they are moving away from tablets and into mobile tablet PCs now. I mean it used to be endless Android tablets, now it's one or two and then tons of Surface Pro copy's. Shame really because of that price difference.

adamr7

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
I'm hoping to buy a tablet this year but not sure if it will be an iPad or a Windows tablet. It's unlikely I go with an Android based tablet because Google hasn't been trying to make Android into a good tablet OS and, unless you get a Pixel, you are unlikely to receive timely software updates.

The iPad is a great tablet but I often feel limited by mobile versions or websites and apps. I also don't like Apple's push towards higher price points of the iPad without really pushing the boundaries of what it can do. (IMO atleast) While I think Windows 10 is a step in the right direction for Microsoft I think that the tablet mode has been an afterthought so far and their app store is lacking.

I really like what I see from the Galaxy Book and will consider it but I'm hesitant to go with a Windows tablet.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
If I were to go down the tablet road I think the only one I'd get is a Pixel, but I think Chrome books are pretty much the tablet for Google. I'm putting money in my PayPal just waiting for a new ChromeBook Pixel :D

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If I were to go down the tablet road I think the only one I'd get is a Pixel, but I think Chrome books are pretty much the tablet for Google. I'm putting money in my PayPal just waiting for a new ChromeBook Pixel :D
The pixel is nice but google would have to update it before I'd buy it as it's been out a while now.

Anyway I'll wait and see what Apple announce next month before I make any decisions.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The pixel is nice but google would have to update it before I'd buy it as it's been out a while now.

Anyway I'll wait and see what Apple announce next month before I make any decisions.

Both the Chomebook Pixel and the Pixel C are really long in the tooth I wouldn't buy until either are refreshed. I wouldn't buy an iPad anyway so it doesn't really matter I will say though that my wife's iPad Pro is pretty nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.