Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I'm thinking about upgrading to a SSD and read that SandForce just announced their new SSDs with 500MB/s read/write. Since the 2010 iMacs are still 3Gb/s, will I see any benefit by waiting for them?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You would get better random access etc but not really worth waiting for. I doubt you would notice any difference. Besides, first gen may have issues.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
I have just put a Patriot Inferno SSD in my iMac, just go for it. Things load pretty much instantly and I cannot see how an even faster SSD will benefit you any more in this current generation.

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London
I would definitely wait only because prices will decrease dramatically as SSD's can be pricey.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
Until mac's start using SATA 6gb/s I wouldn't wait, there's a lot of good SSD's out there right now that get the job done very fast

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
You would get better random access etc but not really worth waiting for. I doubt you would notice any difference. Besides, first gen may have issues.

Thanks. So even if I may not notice the difference, technically there should still be an improvement even on SAT 3Gb/s?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks. So even if I may not notice the difference, technically there should still be an improvement even on SAT 3Gb/s?

Technically, yes. In real world, no. Current SF drives have IOPS of 50k, the new ones will have 60k (IOPS is a way to measure random read&write performance). Current drives can already provide 285MB/s and that is the real world limit of SATA 3Gb/s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.