New satellite to sharpen Google Earth

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Sep 17, 2007.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Reuters.

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Just imagine the fun when they post the fly-over schedule. I'll mow the lawn, tidy up the yard, get out the baby powder, polish the cheeks, and let the full moon rise.

Who's with me?

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i am surprised this 'avenue' hasn't been exploited yet for commercial or political purposes, or just for fun.

you could spell something really large on a big city roofs (one letter per roof), and it would only become visible from above.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yay, a welcomed improvement for Google Earth! :)

5. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Sounds good. Live Local has better "birds eye" pictures. Check them out if you haven't yet--but they're not available in all too many places. If Google can over pictures like these I'll be more than happy to use them over Microsoft's.

Steve

6. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

wow

What a great way to make the images on the iPhone load EVEN slower. :p

7. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

It has :D

8. lamadude macrumors 6502

Yup I agree, on google earth my house is just a red dot, on live I can make my house take up almost the whole screen and it STILL looks sharp. But maybe this is an atypical case...

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

10. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

will they really post the schedule of when they'll be over your house? If so does anyone know where to look for times? When I read it I thought "It's a pity that you don't know when it will come over or you could write something on the lawn or some such jape" What would people here write? My first thought was "Fu*k The CIA!" Whenever it is it will be too early for me. I'm hoping to buy a neighbouring field to plant trees in and when it occured to me do it I thought I could plant trees to spell something out but I think it'll take 20/30 year to become legible.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Google Earth is already awesome, but two things they asap are better images in lesser known places of the world, and a more Mac-like interface...

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Since when are Google Earth's pictures taken by satellites? Aren't they just aerial pictures?:confused:

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe the new satellite is to replace the aerial shots?
    I hope so. It's so out of date here, we've still got the caravan, I'm riding a bike onto the driveway and the gardens missing more than a few trees. Circa 2002/3 I reckon!

14. David G. macrumors 6502a

You can't event tell my house is there now, so this is a welcome improvement. If you want to see how bad it is look up Wasilla, Alaska and that gives you an idea of just how bad it can get.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

(I know I'm setting myself up here, but.....)
    From now on, I'm going to walk around the front lawn with my pants down. Lets see whether the resolving power of the new Google Earth is really that good.

16. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

And most of Canada too, even the densely-populated Southwestern Ontario. You can barely make out whole cities. My city has exceptional hi-res aerial imagery on its own website, updated regularly -- it's a real shame they can't share it with Google Earth.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Don't go around tonight,
    Well, its bound to take your life,
    Theres a bad moon on the rise.

:D

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You bet...
    I don't even think my binoculars have good enough resolving power to see that. ;)

Back on topic... I just checked and the photos of my house have been updated very recently. Until now, they were about 5 years old.

19. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Google & MSN announced plans to do fly overs of Sydney on New Years Day or Australia Day this year, there were no fly zones in place so the schedule was off by hours and as a result most people had gone home by the time the fly overs occured.

The best made plans....

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would like to see nighttime images as well. It is cool to see populated areas lit up.

21. ChrisA macrumors G4

aerial pictures of the entire Earth? I think not. Some areas yes.
    No one not even Google could affod to photograph the entire air from the air so they backfill with shots from space.