Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goliah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
London, England
Having been around Mac's from the 'beginning' I have quite a collection up in the attic. But however I enjoy my contemporary models, I still keep a couple old G3/G4 boxes going to run a considerable collection of 0S9 software and as an archive of older material.

But and there is always a but with older machines, just as I was searching through my archives for some old pieces of writing this week, the original Mac screen gave up the ghost on the G3 beige desktop.

Short of finding an old VGA screen in the trash, and there are plenty , I'd like to hook up a newish [non MAC] flat screen monitor that could also double as a second with my MacBook. Other then the change of adapter, Is there any reason a newer screen shouldn't work under 0S9? And what pitfalls might I be on the look out for?

Any help, sugestions or advise appreciated

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Get a monitor with a VGA port. If it doesn't, look if the panel has DVI-I or DVI-A (I can take DVI and VGA adapters, A for analouge is VGA only).

You might, depending on the monitor you get, run into a max-resolution issue. IIRC, older cards could only do 1600x1200 max res. Generally LCDs will have scaling options (stretch, aspect, 1:1, etc), so its not too big a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.