New screen resolution

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iansilv, May 25, 2009.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Things have been quiet on this issue lately... anyone have ideas on whether or not we will see a higher resolution screen on the next iphone?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Doubt it. If they did then they'd have to rewrite the OS so that it can be used on both that and the older devices, and app developers will have to rewrite all their apps too. Otherwise on the new device running the current OS you'll either have a black border around the screen wasting the new resolution, or have everything stretched to fill it, causing things to become pixelated and blurred. Seems too much hassle for too little reward, considering how small the screen is to begin with.

Just my opinion though.

3. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't you think that they could bring out updated system graphics to the native resolution and just run apps stretched, allowing developers to bring out higher resolution art for the new screen as they wish? I guess it's just my wishful thinking- I think a higher resolution screen would do wonders for safari and photos...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The screen will stay the same resolution. End of story. Running apps stretched? Come on.

5. seb-opp macrumors 6502

if the resolution was doubled in all directions it shouldnt be too much of a problem. But I dont think that will happen just yet

6. svndmvn Guest

Apple is not Samsung or HTC, it's not about pixels, it's about user friendly. Imagine having a 3.5" like you do now, I really doubt they'd give you a bigger one, don't you feel comfortable with the resolution in Safari at the distance you keep the Phone? Would you like smaller letters? Also, don't you think Apple would be so kind to tell its developers to adapt their apps prior to the release?

7. Advil macrumors 6502a

i agree that the resoultion will stay the same. which isn't anything bad, it has a great screen.

8. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm on my iPhone right now and even just contemplating a higher resolution screen makes me shudder. It simply wouldn't work on such a small device. You'd have to zoom in everywhere only to read text. Bad idea I think.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQPNSt-CF0
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/12/transforming-iphone-into-tv-gaming-device.ars
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/05/iphone_tvvideo_streaming_idea.html

Seeing the Media Out Interface patent, why wouldn't they just keep the current resolution, and work on being able to output at higher resolutions? The iPhone screen could stay the same resolution currently (and they'd give developers advance warning if they were going to bring out a new model with increased resolution) - but they could output the video out at a higher resolution, beyond just outputting it in a stretched (locked ratio, but increased size) format.

10. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

Whatever anybody says, I'm sure Apple made a big deal of the fact that developers would have to develop apps for a single resolution only. This was aimed towards mobile developers, who had been having to develop apps for various resolutions. Thus, the chance of them introducing a higher resolution would be minimal, in my opinion.

To be completely honest, the current resolution is absolutely fine, and ever since November 11th 2007, I've never found any need to have a higher resolution on the iPhone, and I'm a bit of a resolution freak!

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Actually you are way off basis here. Apple has stated in the development docs several times not to limit your app to a single resolution. If you follow some of the development techniques that Apple laid out in the docs, your apps will scale very well across a plethora of resolutions with minimum code on the developers part.

12. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

+1

Additionally, Apple is know for moving forward with what they think is relevant while forsaking the old. One day they're going to have to increase the screen size, then what? I'm sure they've planned beyond 480x320 and I'm sure that developers will have the time to update their apps and for those that don't, the OS will handle the rest.

For this upcoming iPhone, I doubt we'll see a larger screen.

13. RumorHasIt.... macrumors member

Increased resolution would be great!

For those that think a higher resolution would be unreadable, you are incorrect. My Dell Axim X50V has VGA (640 x 480). It is great, and even though a few years old, is superior to the iPhone's screen. In fact, reading is much better.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I highly doubt that Apple would change the screen resolution.

15. RumorHasIt.... macrumors member

I agree

I agree that Apple probably won't change the resolution. My point is that it could have a better resolution. Besides my example above, some current smartphones have vga displays and have gotten great reviews on their screens.

This is very like Apple. Most of their macbooks and macbook pros have lower resolutions than comparable laptops (yes, I know the argument that they're not comparable without os x).

16. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh?!? I don't think you understand how the iphone screen works, and I think you are misunderstanding the resolution issue entirely. The text rendered on the iphone is rasterized to an infinite resolution- higher resolution will simply make the text sharper. Same thing with web pages- they will render to the same size, only they will look sharper. The icons could be rendered to a higher resolution, and lose some detail relative to their icon size- the iPhone OS renders things to a screen size proportion, not to absolute pixels. So when the iphone renders the text "new email" it is going to show it the same size for either 10 px per inch or 72 px per inch- only the 72 px per inch would be sharper. You will actually get a better viewing experience for reading emails, surfing the web- this site right now would look better on a higher resolution screen with the iphone os.

I recognize the idea that the new screen might not be coming this generation- but the idea of running apps stretched I guess I was not clear about. As long as the new screen is the same aspect ratio in physical area, then the apps would simply be rendered to a higher resolution in the same physical space. App icons, everything would just be rendered with more pixels. For developers, if they are say producing game, they could produce higher resolution game art in an update that would be recognized by the new iphone.

For a better example of what I am trying to explain- look at the higher resolution icon art in Leopard- scale it larger, it looks great still. That is the idea here- apple increases the iphone screen resolution without needing everyone to freak out about it. go from 320 by 480 to 480 by 800 in the same physical dimensions and everything just transitions automatically. I am sure apple would produce higher resolution versions of its icons like settings and safari, and other developers would quickly issue updates for resolution adaptive things on other basic stuff.