New Seagate hard drive won't mount in a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tom762, Apr 7, 2018.

  1. Tom762 macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2018
    I bought from Amazon a Seagate 6TB BarraCuda Pro internal hard drive (ST6000M004) which just arrived today, and I find that the threaded holes in the hard drive's case don't line up with the screws of the Mac's mounting brackets.

    This is a mid-2010 Mac Pro with four drive bays. I had one empty bay and I wanted to put this Seagate 6TB into it, but I can't do it because the HD doesn't have the threaded holes in the right places.

    This is odd because there is already an older Seagate Barracuda 1 TB drive in this Mac whose mounting holes DO line up with the screws on the bracket.

    Did I get an oddball drive here, or has Seagate changed all its new drives so that they will no longer match up with the brackets in a Mac Pro tower?
  2. AidenShaw, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018

    AidenShaw macrumors P6


    Feb 8, 2003
    The Peninsula
    Do a few searches on the forum - it's well known that Apple's drive sleds aren't compatible with some of the newer high capacity drives, and where to find compatible sleds. (AKA spend an arm and a leg at OWC.)

    (And it's also known that using the two screws that do fit and duct tape is also a solution.)
  3. Tom762 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2018
    Thanks AidenShaw. You've provided the solution. I didn't know until you told me that there were sleds available that had the screws in the right places. I'll get one of those newer sleds (now that I know they exist) and then I'll be able to put this drive into the Mac.
  4. MarkC426 macrumors 6502

    May 14, 2008
    You can get the OWC sleds in the UK from Amazon for approx £20.
    They do fluctuate, but I bought an additional one a while back while it was reasonable.
  5. Tom762 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2018
    Thanks Mark. I just went to and bought a sled that will take the drive for $19. I had previously looked for one there but hadn't used the right search words, so it didn't show up. You have to call it a "sled," not a mounting bracket or anything similar. Once I asked for a sled it popped up and I bought it.

Share This Page