New Seagate hard drives increase battery life by 25%

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Squonk, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Let's hope we see these in the next rev of the MBPs!

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202400049

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The PCWorld review mentioned that they specifically use a Vista feature to make use of the extra flash ram.

Maybe some support will get added to Leopard in future (end of October is in the future, right?:rolleyes:)

4. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Squonk

While reading the article, I was hoping that Apple was one of the unnamed vendors who has been working with them to bring these to the market. I sure do hope that Leopard will have support for new fangled devices like this. More battery life and more performance, yeah, sign me up!

EDIT: So, is that to say that the OS must know how to take advantage of this new drive technology to gleen any performance out of it? Or is it the case that in order to get all of the 20% boot time and 25% battery life improvement you need to be tuned for it and otherwise you might get half of that?

5. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

It would seem you need the OS to be aware of it, so it installs the appropriate files on the flash, not the rotating platter.In practice, its probably even more complicated than that.

Leopard...end of October is rapidly approaching.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The operating system needs to be aware of it. Sadly, the hard drive itself doesn't have the logic to do it.