New Search Feature on iPhone 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jun 19, 2008.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I need to be able to search by company on my phone. If I have a contacts name say Nancy Smith who works for Exxon, can I search by just Exxon or do I have to search for Nancy Smith.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Put all your Exxon contacts in a group called Exxon. They'll still be in your main list but they'll be all grouped together in a second list.

3. seenett macrumors regular

Do we know it will only search by last name?

On my Blackberry, I can find John Doe of Widget, Inc. in New york by typing:

J-O-H-N-D or W-I-D-G or N-E-W-Y

It basically searches all the fields of a contact's information to bring up all matches. That would be great if the iPhone could too.

4. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

From Apple's website:

I would imagine it would work like spotlight and search all relevant information.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Calendar Search?

Was there any mention of a Calendar Search? or was it solely Contact Search?

ATM, i'm using the Search app by PolarBearFarm, but would have expected a Calendar search integrated into 2.0 software too...

6. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

For some reason my group lists aren't carried over on to my iPhone and I just have a contact list. Am I being really naive and missing something obvious?

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Group lists aren't implemented in the current firmware just like colored calendar events aren't.

Course that might change with the new firmware. Or it might not.

8. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Contact groups carry over, at least to my iPod Touch, so it must be the same for the iPhone.

Looks to me like multiple calendars will be on 2.0.... you can see from the mobileme pics, the iphone has coloured calendars on it....

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i think manual groups carry over, but smart groups do not. for example i have a school contact group for anyone with a @umich.edu email address. and that is a smart group and it doesnt carry over, but i have a fraternity group that is drag and drop, and it carries over to the iphone

10. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

If the Simulator is anything to go by the contact search only seems to search First Name, Last Name and Company Name. No other fields are searched. If anything else it should also search, Nickname, Job title, Notes.

One thing I also thought was missing from the iPhone was Spotlight, a nice little magnifying glass icon up by say the battery that if you held your finger on would open up a global search.

11. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

My situation is that I sell to schools and may have as many as 500 schools to call on. Now sometimes I may remember the Principals name and sometime I may remember the School name only. So if I group all the schools together, then I just still need to search by school name or Principal name. Will this be possible?

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, I dunno about groups, but if you put the school name under Company, then you'll definitely be able to search by either principal name or school name.

13. ghayenga macrumors regular

Yes.

14. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

You will have this functionality on July 11th. Maybe sooner.