new-seeking advice on icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeremy6044, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

i plan to be getting a new macbook this month and i had a question not about changing icons, but about finding them....

1. i saw a picture of some guy's dock with all the icons being black, white, gray or blue...seems much nicer than the default dock icons which look like they belong in a children's book. unfortunately, i sent a message to the guy and he never got back to me about it. anyone know where i can find icons that are the same as the default program icons, but just with more subdued colors???

2. anyone know where i can find the little laptop icon that some people use to replace the default hard drive icon? i kind of like that, too.

thanks!

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I can maybe help you out on the second question – there are a couple of nice MacBook icons in this set that might take your fancy.

3. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

which macbook are you getting, i'll post the icon for it for you here

4. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

6. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I have a question... if you change the icons in the dock, how can you change them back to the original?

7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

you would have had to have kept the original I'm pretty sure, unless the icon is hidden somewhere in the application's resource folder

8. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I tried to copy the original icons by going to get info and then copying the icon but when I try to paste it into a new folder, it won't.

Is there an easier way to keep the originals?

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

If you use the cut and paste method to change an icon, you can switch back easily to the original by following a similar path.

Open the Get Info window of the folder, app or whatever you want to revert, click on the icon in the top left hand corner and simply press delete – it'll remove the icon you pasted on there and revert back to the original one.

If you amend an icon for an app that you've got in the Dock, to make sure the correct icon is displayed at the bottom of your screen you'll have to drag the old icon off an drag the new one on to replace it – it doesn't update it automatically, unless they've changed something in Leopard with the new-fangled 10.5 Dock. ;)

10. idesign245 macrumors 6502

thanks for the help! I downloaded candybar and i'm playing with that.

11. idesign245 macrumors 6502

ok... i tried to restore to the original icons using candybar and it doesn't change them back... I've restarted and still doesn't...

help!

12. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

does anybody know anything about the first point i mentioned. some guy named "tag" who never wrote back to me, posted a screen shot in the picture forum ("november desktops" i think) with icons that are all blue, black or gray. i would imagine that at least some of you would find these icons more professional and well, just nicer, than the multicolored crayola icons that fill up the dock.

just to note, i'm really not trying to bash macs, or individual program icons...it's just that when you have different icons with different color schemes, they don't exactly come together too well because they're all done individually.

so if anyone can help me make my desktop more uniform and less crayola, i would totally appreciate it.

13. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

to restore to original, get info on application, highlight icon in top left and press cmd + x