New separate volume buttons - but still no camera shutter button??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ndpitch, Jun 9, 2010.

1. ndpitch macrumors 6502

I feel like this was a pretty popular request, and when we all saw the separate volume buttons, many said the same thing...

"...finally we can hold the phone like a normal camera and not have to fiddle with touching the screen!"

Evidently not, seeing as nothing was mentioned of it in iOS4 or iPhone 4 keynotes, nor is it mentioned in feature overviews. Certainly not a deal breaker, just more of an annoyance. It's odd that Apple hasn't given us this feature without having to jailbreak, as I'd think the coding for it is very minimal.

2. nednarm macrumors 6502

yeah it should of been included, just jailbreak and install snapture. No big deal

3. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Now that you mention it...

Why no screen orientation lock button like on the iPad?

I was expecting a screen orientation lock.

I'm hoping the new iPhone can be jailbroken to add this type of functionality

4. BobHail macrumors 6502a

How about screen brightness physical buttons or two finger pinch gesture in the lock screen to adjust the brightness?

Screen orientation lock should be a must have feature too.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Jailbreak + Snappy will fix that. I've got it on my JB 3G and it's awesome. You can also load the camera app from any window (even lockscreen) in under a second to take pictures immediately.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, this surprised me too.

It's the perfect Apple solution...it would have been an added feature for those who knew it, but if you didn't know it you could just ignore it and never know it was there.

So, greater function without greater complexity. That's a very 'Apple' thing to do which is why those rumors made sense. Very odd that they didn't do it!

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It will have orientation lock. It's just not a physical switch like the iPad.

8. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Jailbreaking the OS4 on the iPhone 4 will not be that easy, especially just after release so it IS a big deal.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

10. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Don't see why a 3rd party camera app couldn't include the ability to use the volume button as a shutter, and I'm sure one will do just that fairly soon.

The reason is the mute button is MUCH more important on the iPhone than it would be on the iPad, since you carry your phone everywhere, and many times you are somewhere quiet and need to mute your phone quickly. Therefore Apple decided to keep the mute button, but change it to the more useful screen lock on the iPad, since the iPad doesn't have a phone ring that might go off and is mainly used in the home rather than out and about.

So a mute button to me seems like the logical choice for the iPhone, rather than a screen lock. I guess you could put both on the iPhone, but having another switch would be overkill in my opinion, and Apple would never clutter up the design like that.

11. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to guess that Apple wouldn't approve a third party photo app that uses the volume buttons for the shutter.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That's why people have to jailbreak to get it.

13. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

don't really see why you'd need a physical button for the camera now, if you're taking pictures with the back camera you can easily see the button to press and if you wanna take a picture of yourself you've got the front camera….

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yup, you swipe other to the leftmost part of the task dock that you bring up by double-clicking the home button. Right there next to the audio controls.

15. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

How do we even know that volume up/down won't work as a shutter when the camera app is open now? It may very well do that.

16. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

when you rotate your phone to landscape view isn't it suggested that you do so to the left? (so that the lens is on the left side of the phone at the top) wouldn't that put those buttons on the bottom of the "camera"?...and I know you can rotate it the opposite way but shooting pictures with the lens at the bottom most times I get a thumb in the shot