Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in iOS 15 is adding new Separation Alerts to the Find My app, which will let you know if you leave an Apple device, a device attached to an AirTag, or a Find My-enabled third-party device behind.

separation-alerts.jpg
Enable separation alerts, and if you leave a device, AirTag, or compatible third-party item behind, your iPhone will alert you with notifications and Find My will give you directions to your item.
For any item in the Find My app, whether it's an AirTag or an Apple device, you can tap into it and select the "Notify When Left Behind" toggle. This will send an alert if you get out of range of your item.

You can set exceptions for certain locations, such as if your item is safely at home, and this new feature should help you keep a much better watch over items that are easy to lose like AirPods.

Article Link: New Separation Alerts in iOS 15 Let You Know If You Leave an AirTag or Apple Device Behind

Reactions: BustAGroove

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Nice, so the 30 bucks I spent on an Airtag weren't wasted after all. ;) I haven't found any other use for the thing yet. But I have left behind jackets and/or bags on a few occasions, so this should give peace of mind.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
How hard is it to make a separation notification on the Watch when you disconnect from your phone? (ie forget phone but have watch on)
Exactly. Maybe they figure "Who would forget their phone. It has everything on it". Exactly, so don't let me forget it! Maybe since they only are just adding Find My Items to the watch we will see it in the future. If you beta test make sure to submit feedback.

Ion-X

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2017
Oh boy, now my AirTags will have separation anxiety like a dog!

Very welcome feature as I am prone to losing things. 8 AirTags and counting.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
This will definitely encourage me to get at least one Airtag, for any bag I might be schleping around with me.

Reactions: TropN

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Nice, so the 30 bucks I spent on an Airtag weren't wasted after all. ;) I haven't found any other use for the thing yet. But I have left behind jackets and/or bags on a few occasions, so this should give peace of mind.

Except you have to remember to turn it on - unless you want to get notifications every time you leave the house and don't need that coat.

Now if the AirTag could activate itself on when it detects it's away from your house...

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Except you have to remember to turn it on - unless you want to get notifications every time you leave the house and don't need that coat.

Now if the AirTag could activate itself on when it detects it's away from your house...
Look at the screenshots in the article. There is an option to specify locations where you won't be notified, like at home. It's done by the phone via geofencing.

Reactions: freedomlinux

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014

You can specify trusted locations (where you leave the items regularly) and it won't yell at you if you leave them there.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
Am very happy to hear this in the WWDC. Now I can remove one of my airtags from my Airpod Pro. Have always been worried about losing it.

Also glad that it will now remind me when I left something behind!

This is one reason I love apple products. They keep adding features to the hardware purchased!

Reactions: matrix07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.