New Service to go with 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prestigetone, Oct 8, 2011.

1. prestigetone macrumors newbie

I am a long time lurker, and not so long time poster.

I have had an iPhone in some form for the better part of three years.

I am going to pick up a 4S soon, but am unsure which service to get. I am an AT&T customer with grandfathered unlimited (which seems to be moot with reported capping of data down the line).

I live in NYC.

Should I switch to Verizon? What is going to give me the best all around package of data speed, call quality, and reception. I have had issues around dropped calls, but other people are not alone in this.

I just want make sure I get the right plan, and ensure that I don't just jump the fence for what appears to be greener grass.

Any thoughts? I am appreciative of any advice you experts can provide. Thank you in advance.

:apple:

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Where in NYC? Most of Manhattan I get about 3Mbit on my iPhone 4, and Brooklyn I get 5Mbit. I haven't checked any other areas recently, but AT&T has certainly improved. Now consider that that would be double with the 4S. It would become at least 6Mbit for most of NYC. Verizon is around 1Mbit or 2Mbit right now. They don't get that speed boost with the new iPhone though, since it's GSM only. I'm not sure about calls (I rarely call anymore, mostly just data), but for data AT&T is the fastest by far in NYC.

The throttle shouldn't matter much for this decision. AT&T is throttling you to around .5Mbit, which may (I'm not sure how this'll work with the throttling) become 1Mbit. That would mean AT&T's throttled speeds would be almost as fast as Verizon's full speeds. Also, I'd rather be throttled when I use a lot than have to pay an exorbitant amount for it.

AT&T has significantly improved over the past year or so. I remember a couple years ago it was faster on EDGE than 3G in Manhattan because it was so overloaded, but it's not bad at all now. I'm not sure if AT&T has improved, or Verizon getting the iPhone lightened their load, but it's certainly much better.

3. prestigetone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the speedy reply! I think all valid points. I would also like to hear from people who switched either way. I do travel and drive quite a bit so I want a carrier that is all around great, but that seems to be impossible these days. Here's to dreaming...

4. prestigetone thread starter macrumors newbie

5. jst1217 macrumors newbie

i lived in manhattan for 3 years with my iPhone 4 and at&t service. It was so bad the service, sometimes i would only receive service on certain streets at the end of the block where building weren't blocking reception. I also only could get service in half my apartment. I switched to verizon and no longer have issues!

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If AT&T has been good to you and you get good service, I would stick with them.

The unlimited thing will end for all of us one day and even on Verizon. Likely will happen when we go over to LTE with the iPhone 5.

Reception is what is most important. After that price.

7. prestigetone thread starter macrumors newbie