New Set Up- Full Spec RMBP With 1TB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Oct 27, 2013.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I have about $4500 to spend on a new computer set up and I am trying to figured out how to allocate this. I already have a Samsung 2560 x 1440 27" monitor, so an iMac is out (which I wouldn't spend the money on anyway since 4K displays are probably not too far out). My thing here is I like to upgrade my laptops so I am leaning towards having the Mini as my main sync point, but the 1TB Pro fits the "houses everything and can be taken with" bill. The Early 2013 RMBP I can return for the next 45 days to BBY and the XPS 15 is set to arrive on 11/18, which I'll have 21 days to return. I would really like something that has a high res screen and 1TB storage so when I want, I can take all of my 700GB's of media with me, but I do not like the idea of carrying around a $3100 (edu discount) laptop with me.

Main: 1TB Mac Mini $850 (after tax)
    Media / Power: Early 2013 rMBP or XPS 15 (same price after coupons and rebates I had) Each $1700
    Portable: 2013 Haswell MBA $1100 already in hand
    Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 11 (or something comparable) $700 range

OR

Main / Media / Power: Late 2013 RMBP High End with 1TB storage $3100
    Portable: 2013 Haswell MBA $1100
    Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 11 (or something comparable) $700 range

OR

Main: Early 2013 RMBP hooked up to external HDD
    Media with 1TB: XPS 15
    Portable: 2013 Haswell MBP

As far as OS goes. I want my main sync computer to be a Mac to go with my iPad Mini and iPhone, but I do not dislike windows.

I am leaning towards option 1 or 3 but I think 2 makes the most sense? The thing that makes me nervous about the dell is that its footprint is a little bigger than the RMBP and I think that one is already big enough although pretty light.

Thanks for the help.

2. sabbyp macrumors regular

I have the top spec haswell rmbp running windows through bootcamp. It flies, I doubt you'll regret it unless it's pushing your finances.

3. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I figured. With the 1TB I can basically have the XPS and rMBP and base station in one machine.