New Set Up Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs123, Oct 15, 2016.

1. cfs123 macrumors regular

Hi Macrumors,

I'm a long time member but haven't been here for a while. Back in 2008 my PC failed and I bought an iMac and haven't looked back since. My iMac is still going strong except for the screen is getting dim. Currently my other Apple devices are an iPad mini 2nd generation and my wife has an iPad 3rd generation.

The reason I am posting is because if my iMac goes on me, I want to be ready to figure out my next setup and looking here for advice. Plus, my wife's iPad is getting sluggish. Therefore, I am asking for advice on what people may feel a good set up would be for me.

Here is my situation. I barely use my iMac as our iPads do the job. What I do use my mac for however is a place to store photos. I have about 350gb in photos and videos. I also have an external HD attached to backup my computer, photos and vids. Unfortunately, right now my HD is only 250 so I took the vids off my iMac completely and have on my HD.

My question: If my iMac bites it, can I get by on just having new iPads and no Mac? If I did this would iCloud be the best option for backup/syncing and I could back up iCloud on an external HD at work as I use a Mac there? If yes, do I need iPads with a lot of storage? I currently use Dropbox but the picture organization is not the best. I wonder what it would be like with 20,000 photos in it.

Back in the day I would just buy one house computer, back up with Time Machine and an external HD. However, now there seems to be more options out there that can serve the same purpose. In addituon, having photos accessible would allow me to create family vids and play with photos without being tied to a computer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I have no experience at all with any iOS devices, but can say this:

The lack of a keyboard, mouse, or internal finder-like file system makes the iPad a no-go for me.
    Even if I can plug in a keyboard and mouse, I STILL need the file system, and the ability to open multiple apps with multiple windows at once.

Will you be able to live without these options?

3. cfs123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. I can live like this for personal use. My work is Google business and I have my Macbook for this.