new setup for student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbwrobel, Jan 18, 2011.

1. dbwrobel Guest

I'm looking to pick up a new mac for my desktop setup and I'm considering either getting a Mac Mini and/or Macbook Air/Pro/White (I've got two 23" screens that I already have, as well as good speakers, keyboard and mouse). My main uses are for fairly simple things such as browsing, e-mail, music, photos, etc. Some of the other uses for it will be for research as well as for developing code for some numerical simulations myself and my advisor will be running (currently in grad school) - the simulations won't be run on the desktop/laptop, we will be sending the jobs to a cluster to process. I also would like to play the occasional game here and there (nothing really too new, some of my current favourites are x-plane, call of duty 4, the sims 3, red alert 3, train simulator - and perhaps i'd be pushing it but maybe something like black ops and some other steam games).

Anyway, my question is whether in anyone's experience I would be able to use the current machines above offered by Apple for a half-decent overall experience based on my needs/wants. I've tried doing my own research on the Macs currently available but can't seem to come up with decision of what to get or what would be the better deal for the money (ie. macbook or mac mini for example, macbook being for when I go to school for meetings/work, etc - or perhaps even an ipad for when I got to school and mac mini for home?). Ideally I'd like to spend as little money as possible being a student :p

2. Danekero macrumors member

A mac mini should do fine for all of that, and either the macbook air or the white macbook would be fine. If you want to have a bit more power, go for a maxed out white macbook. Alternatively, for faster access speeds, a maxed macbook air 11.6 might be good as well. The solid state drive makes a difference.

3. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

Ok cool thanks; as for the mac mini, I've been reading that it is going to get upgraded soon to potentially a core i3; is it worth the wait?

4. Danekero macrumors member

I haven't heard that, but if it's true I'd probably wait if you have the time. The boost will help the computer run more smoothly even with simple tasks like web browsing.

EDIT: On the other hand, if you don't own your own monitor or plan to watch HD video, the low end iMac would also be good for your uses.