New silent, quick hard drive....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jack06, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Jack06 macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I want to upgrade my Macbook Pro to make it as quick and efficient as possible as soon it will be my primary computer, I was looking at the Momentus XT as a possible hard drive but heard it gets quite loud and vibrates under load. I would mostly be using my Macbook Pro for movies, and studying, but might delve into Keynote for presentations etc. I love how the Macbook Pro is so quiet so if possible would like to keep that quality with the new hard drive as well as keeping costs down. I would need at least 500GB, anyone have any experiences?

2. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Has no one got a hard drive other then the Momentus, that they're happy with?!

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Probably; it's just that no one has noticed this thread sadly :(

Personally, I don't have an external hard drive, so I can't really help you, but I hope someone will be able to help sooner or later...

4. mattb2003 macrumors newbie

I'm actually looking for the same things and have browsed this forum for a few hours now. Seems to be mixed reviews for just about everything. I haven't found anything that "hits the ball out of the park" yet (except for an SSD, which I don't have the money for). I'll be curious to see if anyone chimes in on this thread...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Scorpio Blue should be good for you. It's 5400rpm but it's pretty fast due its density.

6. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Hell hammer,
    Thanks for the reply, the way tech is going nowadays I might stick with the 7200RPM Hitachi at £60 or less it's a steal. I do want to get the best performance out of my MBP, even though I won't be using it for overly intensive applications.

7. tpg macrumors regular

Are we talking about an internal or external drive? I think you mean internal, but it isn't 100% clear.

In my macbook, I'm using a "Hitachi HTS545050B9A300", which is a 5400RPM 500GB disk. It's very quiet, and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not sure if it's as fast as you want, but it's been plenty fast enough for my usage. Hitachi have always been very reliable in my experience.

8. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Tpg,
    Yes it is internal, I do have a Hitachi in my PC at the moment and have had it 3 plus years, never had a problem from it and is a good snappy drive.
    So that's Hitachi x2, will order on Monday........

9. arashb macrumors 6502

I have the Hitachi HTS725050A9A362 that comes factory with the upgraded HD for the newer 17" MBPs. It's 7200 RPM 500GB and it's pretty quiet. I have no complaints with it.