New Silver-Zinc Battery.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbussiere, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jbussiere macrumors member

So, do you think they'll make these batteries available for the rest of the unibody owners? As a replacement? Obviously not right away, but eventually?

2. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

There are a few questions I have too.

I would love to have this in the 15" !!!

But having the battery sealed in would also mean no user accessible hard drive or memory right? In current models you have to remove the battery to get to those parts. :confused:

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not necessarily. The 12" Powerbooks had a removable panel just for the RAM. I seriously doubt the battery won't be easily accessible. bear in mind that you can access the Air's battery by unscrewing the bottom panel, and then you can remove it by unscrewing it.

4. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

If this battery is as good as they say it is, I don't mind at all not being able to get to it via a latch. But I really need to be able to get to the hard drive. I would hopefully stick an ssd in there some day.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It was never that hard to replace the drive on the old MBPs.

6. jbussiere thread starter macrumors member

Well, they would have to make it fit our Late 2008 Macbooks. I'm sure the "slimmer" battery going in the 17" wouldn't fit in ours. But, you think they'll give an option to replace your Lithium Ion for the silver-zinc? Like, during a typical apple care replacement? or even to buy? They would prlly be pretty pricey...

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

That would be nice if they are as good as they describe them...

8. jbussiere thread starter macrumors member

How feasible

So,
    How feasible do you think it is, that Apple would start to make this batter to fit our UniBody 15" pros.

9. goldfronts macrumors member

I really hope so

10. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

Honestly guys, I would not expect this technology to become available for 15" MBPs. Actually, I doubt that they will use it in the 17" even.

Even IF (and I reiterate IF) Apple introduces Ag-Zn batteries in the 17", because they are not user-replaceable they will not offer replacement batteries over the counter. They will be strictly replaced under warranty by an authorized tech, or by yourself if you like voiding your warranty. This does not lend much credibility to a new battery becoming available (from Apple) for the 15". 3rd-party solutions, as usual, may become available at a later date.

--mAc

11. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Maybe they'll make one for the 15" that isn't as high capacity as the 17", but can be fitted into existing 15" models? As in, an extended battery of sorts.

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I bet the recycle-ability on these is really high. Think about it. How much silver will be trading hands? Is there a greater risk to the consumer with these not being user replaceable?

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

one word 'chill'… its a rumor and hasnt officially been released by Apple. jeebus these rumours sure do get to people.

14. jbussiere thread starter macrumors member

I'm chill man lol. Just making conversation...asking around for opinions. it seems you don't even thing these will come out. But it would be nice.

15. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Well this IS a rumor site...

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would not use a silver-zinc variety. The SCIB (super charge ion battery) shows much more promise with a battery life of 6000 cycles (six thousand in case you think I made a typo). If you use up 2 cycles a day every day, the battery will last you over 8 years.

17. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

From the Wiki "surge in demand for SCiB for industrial and automotive applications"

That leads me to question just how large these are. I can see this tech making its way into a miniature form at some time, but probably not before the MBP has a successor in the works.

18. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Maybe this will be available to third parties first.

19. pj- macrumors member

ZPower, a company that makes these batteries said last year:

"A silver-zinc battery option will be rolled out in a major notebook computer in 2009. The battery is slated to be released as a premium extended life battery. The notebook will be “dual chemistry enabled,” which means it will work with either silver-zinc or lithium-ion batteries".

http://www.zpowerbattery.com/pdf/IDF Fall 08 - Final.pdf

"Dual chemistry enabled" sounds like apple to me

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I guess 2009 is "Year of the Battery". :D

21. JOE40 macrumors member

SCIB Battery not for laptops

Unfortunately it looks like SCIB Battery is not for laptops

"In addition to applications that include electric bicycles, motorcycles, automated guided vehicles, electric forklift trucks and construction machinery, which already use rechargeable batteries, the SCiB can be applied to electric power regeneration and stabilization in emergency power sources and wind power systems. Application in hybrid cars is also planned, with the intent of extending application to electric cars in the future, after advancing development of a high-performance SCiB cell."

Above From Toshiba's Website

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_12/pr2401.htm

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, I can unscrew 5000 Torx screws and essentially vivisect my computer in my sleep. Easy-peasy.

23. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

so if this non replacable battery in the new macbookpro does not charge sufficient anymore or gets broken I have to trow away my complete notebook, that sucks !!!!! Why not make it replaceble.

24. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

No - it is not USER serviceable. You would be able to purchase a new battery and have Apple put it in for you. Or you could do it yourself and risk voiding your warranty. Ultimately it just means it is not a simple latch operation. It will most likely be like the Air's battery which can be remove via a hand full of screws. I don't think you have to worry about it being soldered on or anything.

25. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

It will be replaceable, just not 'User Serviceable'. Meaning you would need to take it to Apple to have it done. We can just hope that it is like the MBA and is easy to do on your own.

I can't wait until we have nuclear batteries.

Beat me to it.