New SIM for iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcrchicago, Sep 8, 2016.

1. pcrchicago macrumors newbie

Looking at the tech specs on Apple's website, both the iPhone 6s and the 7 use a nano-SIM. I'm on AT&T with a 6s. If I order a new 7 from Apple, will I need a new SIM or can I just swap from my 6s?

The reason I'm asking is that even though they are both nano-SIM, I have heard that sometimes a new SIM is needed to take advantage of new network features (such as advanced LTE). Thoughts?

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

3. Sketchr, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

Sketchr macrumors 6502a

You'll get a new SIM with a phone that is carrier specific no matter if you buy it from apple or said carrier. I do believe that after some time, SIMs need to be replaced, though most of your tech features come with the new phone hardware and sometimes software updates. If you are thinking of ordering the unlocked phone (no SIM) you can always go to your carrier and ask for a SIM replacement for that phone (from your current you placed in the new unlocked phone) as you believe it's giving you problems. They should do this for no charge.

4. pcrchicago thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Sketchr and Truefan for the insight. Looks like there's nothing to worry about!