Carrier New SIM-Free iPhone SE on Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyoungren, Mar 21, 2016.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, looks like if you want the SIM-Free iPhone SE and plan to use it on Sprint you can forget about it.

Always something with this carrier.

SOURCE: http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/overlay/iphone_se/about_unlocked

PS. Also, this: "However, it appears the iPhone SE won't support 2xCA (LTE Plus) or other LTE Advanced features on Sprint."

From here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/4bdc0b/iphone_se_detailsdiscussion/

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Don't ya just love Sprint? Such a nice consumer friendly carrier :rolleyes:

Aren't you sad you left them eyoungren? ;)

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL. No, not sad at all. But if I do get teary eyed, I still have my Sprint iPhone 5 I can pick up. Still locked to Sprint, by the way. :D

4. rmbplagannoyed macrumors newbie

I don't get what SIM-free means? It sounds like it doesn't take sim cards but that clearly isn't what it means. If I get a non-SIM-free phone for Verizon, will I be able to use it on networks in Spain?

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

SIM-Free is Apple-jargon. It means unlocked and useable on any carrier. Apple does not sell the SIM-Free iPhone with a SIM card (hence SIM-Free).

In regards to the new iPhone SE, Sprint is excluded as a carrier from this. You can't use the SIM-Free iPhone SE on Sprint. You have to buy the Sprint model, which will then be locked to Sprint.

In regards to Verizon, because of their agreement with the FCC any LTE capable iPhone sold by Verizon is automatically unlocked.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Gotta love Sprint.
    They always make it extra hard on their poor customers.
    I dont get why they stay with them:D

7. rmbplagannoyed macrumors newbie

Sounds good thanks eyoungren. Another question...I am moving to Spain in three weeks and eligible for an upgrade with verizon. So I think I will buy phone through verizon for 100 cheaper which is still out of contract and then I can use my phone with any carrier in Spain? Or I still need to be careful which LTE bands work there?

From this page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se it looks like I can't buy a verizon iPhone SE that works in other countries??

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, you'll need to be careful of the LTE bands. I can't really answer that question as I don't know much about the SE beyond what I've just reported in this thread.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It will work, as the FCC requires them to be unlocked. However it will likely be missing some LTE bands so you may not be able to get LTE with them, at least in all areas. Some carriers may work though since there is overlap in the LTE bands, you'd have to research the carrier you want to use or be willing to take the possibility that it will only work on 3G.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    That's too bad, Sprint has pretty good prices, and they have the roaming agreement with the little regional carrier that serves the area where my wife's family lives. So for me it is either Sprint or Verizon, I thought I'd heard that Sprint has changed their policy and will unlock phones for you now as long as you don't owe anything on them though, so it may not be too bad.

10. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Sprint is a real POS. They're the last carrier I'd go with. I'm more of a T-Mobile or AT&T guy myself.

11. eyoungren, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

The possibility that they can be DSU unlocked is still there, so Sprint hasn't cut off unlocking entirely I think.

But to force potential Sprint customers to get on the Sprint model while denying SIM-Free users access to Sprint's network is a step backwards I think.

12. rmbplagannoyed macrumors newbie

ok it seems like the carriers in Spain use 3,7 and 20 and the verizon version supports lte bands 3 and 20 but not 7. Does anyone know how this will restrict my usage in Spain? Do I need a certain numbers of bands to get best coverage?

13. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

To be fair, Sprint has improved in a lot of places. There were area that were blazing fast and had really good coverage here where I live. Unfortunately, it just wasn't places I am usually at most of the time.

Sprint's major problem I think though, beyond perception, is dealing with the long-ingrained corporate tendency to shoot themselves in the foot - repeatedly.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    It just means that in areas where Band 7 is not you won't get LTE on that band because you can't receive it. It doesn't mean you won't still get LTE on Bands 3 and 20. If the carrier's common band is Band 7 though you may have a problem. But if the area you will be in has at least one of those LTE bands you should be OK.

14. rmbplagannoyed macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the info! Will try to figure out which phone is better for price.

15. Florida Gator macrumors regular

I'm holding out hope the Sprint version secretly can do band 13.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

This is why I left Sprint. Even a pay-as-you-go monthly plan requires a special-enabled Sprint phone. You can't use anything else.

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

There are so many reasons to dislike Sprint.

I honestly don't know why anyone uses them for anything.

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Sprint's just digging their own grave at this point. Can't justify any of their decisions.

19. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think it just goes to your location. There are some places it's actually quite good.

But it seems changing the corporate bonehead maneuvers Sprint is known for is still a work in progress.

Something else to consider…

The FCC denied a merger of T-Mobile and Sprint. But the current administration only has a few months left. Depending on who is elected, the regulatory environment might be better for Softbank in January 2017. Treading water while trying to grab as many new subs as you can may be the current objective until then.

But who knows?

20. pearstar macrumors newbie

In Frequently Asked Questions of the order page:

What does “SIM-free” mean?

“SIM-free” means your iPhone doesn’t ship with a carrier SIM card. The SIM-free iPhone sold on apple.com and at the Apple Store is unlocked. That means you’re free to use a SIM card from a supported carrier. For iPhone SE, supported carriers include AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, among others. iPhone SE does not support Sprint. If you wish to use iPhone SE with Sprint or a Sprint-supported carrier, choose Sprint as your carrier when you purchase iPhone SE. When the Sprint model is purchased at full price, it is unlocked.

21. drewaz macrumors regular

So, you buy a SIM-free phone from Apple .... where do you get the carrier specific SIM card? Can I pop the AT&T card out of my 5S and put it in the SE? Or do I need to purchase one from ATT?

If I pay for the phone rather than finance it, is there any reason to even consider NOT getting a SIM-free phone?

22. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Here's what's happening here…

You cannot buy the SIM-Free iPhone SE to use on Sprint. You CAN buy the Sprint iPhone SE and by paying full price the phone will come unlocked

@pearstar Is this an exception to Sprint's new policy that a new Sprint phone MUST be active on Sprint's network for a minimum of 50 days?

My understanding is that you can pay full price, but Sprint still won't unlock (recent change) unless the phone has been on their network for that long.

https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

23. neokao macrumors newbie

Could someone verify this?
    I'd like to buy an iPhone SE (Sprint version, model A1723) with full price from Apple on-line store.
    Then I will be using it with Sprint-based MVNO carrier such as Ringplus in USA. I do sometimes hop to T-mobile or AT&T based prepaid carriers. Yet I often travel abroad and I'd like to have the flexibility using it abroad too. So I'd make sure the full price Sprint iPhone SE is naturally unlocked or not.

If it really has to be in Sprint network for 50 days before they could unlock it, does Sprint-based MVNO count? Before it is unlocked by Sprint, could I still use it abroad?

Thanks for the input.

24. tresmith macrumors 6502

I'm shocked that Apple would make the sim-free model available at launch. They've never done this. Usually it's a 3 to 6 month wait.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My guess is it'll be like it is/was with T-mobile phones, if you buy it full price from Apple it is unlocked and if you buy it full price from the carrier it is locked, but can be unlocked by the carrier after a specified amount of time.