New SIM required for AT&T Mobile share plans?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by misterc0w, Aug 23, 2012.

1. misterc0w macrumors member

Just got off the phone with AT&T about converting my account to mobile share. Say what you will about it, it should be cheaper for me than the plan I was on previously. When I tried to add my iPad to the account, they said that since it already had been activated under the old $30 plan, I would have to go into the store and get another SIM card. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I am on vz, but that is what I had to do also. Original sim had to be replaced because it wouldn't activate on the month to month plan. Then changed to regular plan, had tok get another sim. That sim wouldn't activate, got another one that worked. Cancelled plan. Decided to reactivate, yet another sim. That one may have worked, but had trouble with tech support and finally said screw it. I now just use my iPhone as a hotspot.

Anyway, not surprising you would told to go to a store.

3. misterc0w thread starter macrumors member

I called back in and got them to mail me one. I don't have time to wait around at the store for someone.

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I called yesterday and they never mentioned new SIMs...

I'm really considering the switch to the 10GB plan. With 8 devices, I will be saving quite a bit. My only concern is that four (4) of them are grandfathered to the unlimited plan... There have only been a few times since I first got the iPad 1st Gen on release day that I have gone over 3GB in a month. All other devices use very little cellular in a month.

5. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Hammie: If one of your grandfathered plans is on the iPad, you might consider selling it instead of converting it to the shared plan.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I have two on the iPad and two on the iPhone.

Can you PM me details on how that is done? I am not aware of the process. I thought the SIM had nothing to do with the unlimited plan, especially since I migrated my unlimited plan from my iPad 1 to the iPad 3...

7. trs23 macrumors member

If you're going to switch off the unlimited ipad plan i'd suggest selling it on ebay.

They're going for $500-$600 there. You could sell the plan and then move to the mobile share one.

8. dchao macrumors 6502a

SIM has nothing to do with the unlimited plan, but the the type of account your SIM is linked to has. AT&T no longer offer this type of account, however, your SIM is linked to this account, that make your SIM more valuable than others.

If you have a look at some recent posts here, there is one guy just did that a few days ago. He gave a clear and precise instructions for what the buyer need to do to complete the transaction.

9. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I have also found that moving 3G iPads from the normal "prepaid" accounts to Mobile Share is a huge pain in the arse. Heck, just getting our phones moved from an old plan to Mobile Share took a 30-minute phone call. How inefficient is that! Then that guy could not move the iPads over (after spending 15 minutes trying to). He gave me another number to call. The number is only usable during normal business hours. Finally got through "heavy call volume" to the rep, went through 20 minutes of rigamarole, only to be told "if you don't have a new sim card, I can't put this through". Which I didn't. So now I'm going to have to go to a store.

I will save money each month on Mobile Share, but you'd think AT&T would give their reps an easy tool to transfer customers to the new plan.