new simcard from at&t improved reception

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dread, Jul 2, 2009.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I have been getting horrible reception with my 3gs. I can hold my phone next to my wife's 2g and I will have no bars while she has 3. My phone also avoids going to edge, when there is no 3g available and my bars would drop from 5 to 0 holding the phone in the same spot. I didn't want to replace my phone since I have a screen protector and I would probably end up getting a phone with a worse problem. So I decided to go to at&t and ask for a new sim card. Since replacing I now get better reception than my wife's phone and the signal holds steady. I still get some static on calls ocassionally but I suspect it is the speaker since it happens with perfect reception. Overall, the simcard made a big difference and was a lot easier to switch than a phone.

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

hmm interesting i wonder what the technical reason behind this would be? i'm getting pretty bad service at home as well and will look into this as a possible solution.

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only reason I tried it is because apple told me to do the same thing for my 3g when I had reception issues.

4. sactown macrumors member

I'm a little late responding to this, but this thread is good news for me. The reception on my 3G iphone has been terrible recently, despite the fact that I live in the same place and have done nothing different. I get several dropped calls a day and my service bars will drop from 5 to 0 while standing in the same place. I just went to the apple store a couple of days ago and got the phone replaced thinking it might have been the wireless radio, but I have not seen any change. The customer support guy at the apple store told me that it might be a problem with the SIM card and told me to go to an AT&T store and have it replaced. I was a little skeptical, but now I definitely will give it a try. Thanks for the post.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Interesting. Maybe an updated PRL on the newer sim cards. Whooo knows.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

interesting. there is certainly a chip in a SIM card. its not at all like a credit card with a magnetic strip

BIG PIC

7. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

my reception is terrible bad at home, but great anywhere else I go...what gives??

I spend so little at home anyways, but I might get a new sim and see if that works thanks!

8. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Same boat for me.

And when I say terrible bad at home, I am talking 1 bar of EDGE and I am having a GOOD day. :(

But if I go literally 500 yards away, then I get 3G.

The ONLY thing I can figure is that I am down a hill and I am on a lot with a LOT of trees all around the house.

If it is not that, then I am not sure what it is.