new site (comments)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by derandrew09, Oct 14, 2007.

1. derandrew09 macrumors newbie

im gunna make this short and simple....

i have a new site, derandrew09.com...

its my personal website....

after about 2 weeks of work, i have put it into the public world....

please ask any questions you would like...

i enjoy feedback.... thank you!!!!

http://derandrew09.com

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Overall, looks nice!

• The blog content text is a little small for my liking.
    • The "Published .." text and "Tags" "Share" text lacks contrast.
    • The "logo" text area doesn't handle font size changes well. A couple increases causes overlap. The rest of the page seems to handle it well.
    • HTML doesn't validate. For the errors on links using the &, they can be fixed by using & instead.
    • There are some CSS errors as well, but most of them will be ignored anyways since they are browser specific, though it wouldn't for you to take a stroll through the errors to make sure their all expected.
    • The search field at the right lacks clarity on what the search pertains to, blog postings, your web site, all of the web, etc.
    • Contact page: The field label text is a bit big, overwhelming. This will help reduce how much room the whole thing takes up and would allow you to make a larger message box, which I believe people would appreciate.
    • Contact page: The bottom field looks like it may be a placeholder, but it's confusing otherwise.
    • Contact page: Your "human check" field could confuse some people. May want to add a note beneath it to explain a little more about, like you do for the name and email fields.
    • Register page: This page has a completely different look and doesn't seem to mention your site. This can destroy the trust between your site and the user.
    • Typo in P.S. of first post, the word, should
    • Semantic tagging looks good.
    • Alt attributes seem to be on place for images, good.
    • I like your pictures page. Don't think I've seen that particular image gallery style.

Alright, done rambling. Enjoy.

3. Zac.ice9 macrumors newbie

Zac.ice9

css

this might be because of the CSS errors....

Your fonts are horribly mis-matched throughout the site....

You should pick a size and type and stick with it.... your site is less annoying that way.

I am not sure if you really want comments... or if you are just trying to advertise... hmmm.

-Zac
    Current project:
    http://www.henrypenix.com/
    http://www.henrypenix.com/blog

4. derandrew09 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the comments, i will take a look into everything you said and try to adjust my site.

and no I'm not trying to advertise here, i really want to get into web design, web technology, ext... after high school, and want all the criticism i can get.

5. Zac.ice9 macrumors newbie

Zac.ice9

Cool

Okay, great. Well, you are headed in a good direction stylistically . Just work on fine-tuning and you will be on your way.

Good luck with everything!