New site design for Dashboard Exchange

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
Hey folks, I've just finished uploading a new site design for my site, Dashboard Exchange, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what's cool and what isn't. I've also uploaded a few new widgets thanks to the permission of some kind Widget developers. Thanks.

Link: www.dashboardexchange.com

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
I feel that there are too many light grays. There isn't anything that seems to make a defining element of the site. In fact, I was just there and the only thing that I remember is that there was too much white space to the right of the header/logo. That's not the type of defining characteristic that I would want on a site that I designed.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Well, I registered.

I think the site needs some color. The maroon you use to highlight links would look great with the grey. The site I am in charge of for my company uses grey and maroon (I'm a marketing guy, not a designer).
FWIW, color code 99000 is the color I like with grey.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'll just point out the criticism of the site.

I would get rid of the shadows in Dashboard Exchange, and darken the fonts. There are really no valid reasons to use shadows, since the headline already stands out from the background. The tagline is too faint, thus too hard to read.

Needs some color. Seems pretty barren on the bottom right-hand side.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
I dont know how you feel about testing for cross-platform compatibility but on a PC IE (newest version 6?) your content part (left side) on the index page is hiding underneath the grey band going down the page.

I sorta like the page. Real simple, easy to look around and straight to the point. No eye-candy to distract the user.

EDIT: I only looked at the index page.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I think it looks fantastic. Its very clean, simple, and elegant. Now-a-days designers are using so much filler just to fill up the page and it ends up looking like a jumbled mess. I don't necessarily agree with what everyone is saying with the grays. I think it looks nice, but would be very curious to see what it would look like with a touch of color.

Good job. :-D

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I think that the hovers in the nav bar are just a bit too harsh. You've got these nice, subtle grays, and then BAM! you've got a really dark, harsh gray. Like my last sentence, I suggest you tone it down to another gray you're already using. Nice design though.
-Chase

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
Hey, I was just checking out your site again. As I was looking through the forums I noticed something. I generally keep my Safari window set to a fairly slim width, and when I try to move focus right (with the slider bar on the bottom) the navigation bar gets wider covering the forums. I didnt look at the CSS but if I get inspired tomorrow I might take a peek.

Anyway, just thought it might be something you'd want to look into. Other than that, everything looks good, great job on the logo.

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
benwa02 said:
I dont know how you feel about testing for cross-platform compatibility but on a PC IE (newest version 6?) your content part (left side) on the index page is hiding underneath the grey band going down the page.

I sorta like the page. Real simple, easy to look around and straight to the point. No eye-candy to distract the user.

EDIT: I only looked at the index page.
Thanks for the input, I've fixed the site so it is viewable on IE for PC.

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
davecuse said:
Hey, I was just checking out your site again. As I was looking through the forums I noticed something. I generally keep my Safari window set to a fairly slim width, and when I try to move focus right (with the slider bar on the bottom) the navigation bar gets wider covering the forums. I didnt look at the CSS but if I get inspired tomorrow I might take a peek.

Anyway, just thought it might be something you'd want to look into. Other than that, everything looks good, great job on the logo.
Yeah, I just noticed that the other day. I'm a tad bit uncertain on how to fix the side from scrolling over the content but I'm going to fool around with it.

If you figure out a way to stop it from going over the content I would be much obliged :) .

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I like it

my 0.02 €

I agree with Chico about the nice plain & clean layout.

I don't necessrily agree or disagree with the colour comments though. I think what it needs more than colour is something to draw the eyes naturally towards the area of interests (colours, but also darker/different shades of grey, etc). Maybe darken the nav bar just a tad to clearly set it apart from the content?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
rendezvouscp said:
I think that the hovers in the nav bar are just a bit too harsh. You've got these nice, subtle grays, and then BAM! you've got a really dark, harsh gray. Like my last sentence, I suggest you tone it down to another gray you're already using. Nice design though.
-Chase
I agree with this comment. Tone down the hover a bit. And make the main text a bit darker so it's easier on the eyes for extended periods of time. Otherwise, I like the site design.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
macreator said:
Yeah, I just noticed that the other day. I'm a tad bit uncertain on how to fix the side from scrolling over the content but I'm going to fool around with it.

If you figure out a way to stop it from going over the content I would be much obliged :) .
I'm a bit bogged down for the time being, but I did take a quick glance at the CSS. Maybe try setting the right width to auto, just add the snippet in red to exchange.css

Code:
#side {
    position: absolute;
    background: #F3F3F3 url(gui/s_bg.gif) repeat-x top left;
    z-index: 2;
    margin-left: 41px;
    [color=RED]margin-right: auto;[/color]
    padding: 180px 6px 10px 6px;
    width: 186px;
    border: 1px solid #FFF;
    border-width: 0px 1px;
    }
That might work, if not... nothing else is really jumping out at me.

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
davecuse said:
I'm a bit bogged down for the time being, but I did take a quick glance at the CSS. Maybe try setting the right width to auto, just add the snippet in red to exchange.css

Code:
#side {
    position: absolute;
    background: #F3F3F3 url(gui/s_bg.gif) repeat-x top left;
    z-index: 2;
    margin-left: 41px;
    [color=RED]margin-right: auto;[/color]
    padding: 180px 6px 10px 6px;
    width: 186px;
    border: 1px solid #FFF;
    border-width: 0px 1px;
    }
That might work, if not... nothing else is really jumping out at me.
That unfortunately did not work although thanks for the try. I tried changing side_o's position to absolute and while that stopped the side from going over the content it also stopped the side from having a 100% height.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.