New Site Design.

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
I have updated my site again for the spring, the new design is implemented on all the main pages, anything beyond that is outdated and will be updated in the coming month. I could use lots of comments for the new style, if you think it will work alright, etc. Thanks guys!!

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
good call. What i have built i had to build on a crappy windows pc and there is hardly a font library on it. I will be back in chicago tomorrow on my mac, and I am going to update all the fonts on the pages, and then i'll post and see what ya think. Thanks!

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
nice clean and simple design, i like it, but mentioned above the fonts do need some work, other than that i like it

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
now i feel terrible about the font! It's a myriad pro font at 11 point. Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't had a typography class till this coming quarter, so I basically look through them and use what appeals to me. I hate to just use a tahoma, times or arial kinda thing, but if it would be more effective I definatley will. Thanks!

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
kjdenison said:
now i feel terrible about the font! It's a myriad pro font at 11 point. Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't had a typography class till this coming quarter, so I basically look through them and use what appeals to me. I hate to just use a tahoma, times or arial kinda thing, but if it would be more effective I definatley will. Thanks!

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com
I am just used to AA fonts and "Lucida Grande:. :) <-- that is just me though small is fine too small is bad for all visitors.

Everyone does not have perfect vision myself excluded. Just nice to think of others, thats all. :)

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
When i save the slices I save the text slices as .gif's. Where the main text is located I save those slices as .jpg's It keeps the load time down. Would it be worth my time to slice a section around that text also, and save that as a .gif also? What are some solutions?

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
Actually I would suggest jpeging everyting within the picture even if it includes text. Or maybe better, placing the jpeg image down and then putting text over it (in html).

It's not really the font but the way it was incorporated into the picture. There is no anti-aliasing, which leads to your fonts looking blocky. In photoshop when you select the text tool, somewhere on the menu bar it should have a AA option. Yours is probally set to none, i prefer smooth most of the time.

When using small fonts though you dont want to use AA fonts, because it blurs. Well in some programs at least. I know in Paint Shop Pro (earlier versions) it blurs or looks choppy, while Photoshop does a good job of making it look nice. In your case you're not using AA but the font is still sticking together. It's because of the way your imaging app did it.

best advice: just play around until you find something you like.

rozwell

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2004
my biggest advice is...

-unify the site. settle for ONE design. ONE look and feel... its ok to mix it up, but after clicking around, it is really confusing as to where i am at.
-secondly learn Image Ready or how to use ' Save for web... ' in adobe programs. it is simply amazing. look for the option to save text in a different quality (higher) than the rest of the file, i know its there, but i cant remember where.

-rozwell

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hmm. Yea, the font definitely needs to be changed to something AA. Other than that though, it actually looks really good. I really like the pictures for each section, especially the one on the music page. If you're feeling really enthusiastic, or maybe have some free time, I think it would be really nice to maybe set the inside of the navigation (where the pages show up) in its own frame, so that it doesn't have to reload the navigation bar every time you change sections.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Littleodie914 said:
I think it would be really nice to maybe set the inside of the navigation (where the pages show up) in its own frame, so that it doesn't have to reload the navigation bar every time you change sections.
Frames = NO!

we don't need to get into this discussion again, but it really doesn't take that much more time to reload those couple tiny images. Keep it simple.

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
it's a direct rip of the old G5 section of Apple.com...

i'm sorry, but your new "design" is an exact copy of how the Apple site used to look in the apple.com/g5/ section when they introduced the first G5 in the summer of 2003. the Apple pages had the same exact black gradient and light grey text for navigation, and obviously, you're using Myriad. i know the design was simple, but this is an exact copy. i wish i had a screenshot of it. shame on you!

http://www.pirated-sites.com

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
This is indeed sad. I thought more of your designs in the past, but now, I'm quite sad. Furthermore, you could've done what you did in a much more standards compliant and spirited way. C'mon Kurt, get it together!

And seriously, why is this whole design so pixelated?
-Chase