new site design : )

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by seventeen, Jul 19, 2009.

1. seventeen macrumors member

hey folks, I just implemented a redesign of my old portfolio site today, I would appreciate any feedback from the community to make it better. Feel free to take a look around. Thanks

http://www.17webshop.com

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personally, not a fan of the BIG font on the front page :eek:

And after clicking about 3 links that took me to the exact same form I gave up
    That made me lose interest in exploring the site real quick

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. seventeen thread starter macrumors member

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Right under the large font

17 Webshop Redesign
    TheFBM Launches Today
    Roy G and the Blv Launch New Site Today
    Quick Update

The first and only 4 things I clicked on :eek:
    The large font drew me to those links

Maybe I didn't know what I was looking at, but I just clicked

Edit: I now see the gray links at the top (overshadowed by the large font)
    But the Portfolio link takes you to the same 4 graphics on the front page

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. seventeen thread starter macrumors member

I'll see what I can do about bringing those menu items out more...

6. Kelon macrumors member

Yeah, Blockquote in 56px. Hummm. Shouts a bit.

General comment on design generally on the web: there is this weird fashion for big as in - deep - mastheads... taking up vertical space which is at a premium because monitors are going ... w-i-d-e-r.... (not deeper) ... so horizontal space is in abundance... yet few designers are designing for it. I'm finding it really odd...

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I don't understand the target audience of your blog. Who is interested in following when your company's client websites go live?

The look of the site appears to be trying to mimic a certain specific style I've seen so much of lately... but I don't think it is working. Sorry, I know that's not very helpful. :confused:

8. offshoredevelop macrumors newbie

feedback for website desin

Hi,

Can you please let me know first is there any specific importance for big fonts in home page for SEO? I can see your site is not looking good due to the big fonts you used in home page you can set it properly else other parts is fine with simple and light with white background

Thanks
    Mayur Shah

9. rebecca.x macrumors member

My initial thoughts is that I really like it, but I have to agree that I'm not too keen on the big text at the top. I'd make a little bit smaller and then make the previews of your work a bit bigger. A little bit more colour wouldnt hurt either.

10. Kelon macrumors member

As in - shout REALLY LOUD and you'll get high SEO? I don't think you mean that, though I'm not sure what you do mean. The answer to your question is - the H1 (header - headline - heading) tag is important in SEO and your headline can be really tiny if you're that way inclined. Tiny text in a H1 tag will be taken notice of for SEO. On the site bravely posted here the big text is in a blockquote tag... rather than a H1 tag, so it's obviously text that the designer/owner of the site is not using for SEO purposes. 1) Intelligently written - relevant - content and 2)
    good web standards compliant mark-up (headings properly identified with header tags for example) are two important aspects of websites for SEO (not size - like bigger better, no, no-o-o, size is irrelevant... honest guys :rolleyes: ).

11. seventeen thread starter macrumors member

I had no idea the big text would be such an issue... I'll do something else with it when i can connect to my server. hopefully later tonight. Any other thoughts?

Also, the blog... for a long time it was just me announcing site launches. hopefully that will change in the near future. I am a student, an IT consultant, and a freelance webdeveloper. I am finding it difficult to find time to blog.

12. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Aesthetically speaking, it looks good....but have you tried previewing your site on a Windows PC? Because Helvetica will look slightly different (as arial) when you browse to the site on a PC.

13. brasseale macrumors newbie

As a web designer...

I really enjoy your site. It is current and nothing screams template or (gasp!) iweb. It is a breath of fresh air and a joy to browse through. It's hard to pull off a clean, minimalist design but you have done it swimmingly.

p.s. if you change the large text color to something other than striking black, the text wont seem as imposing. A light grey would do nicely.

Cheers!
    --
    Sam Brasseale
    Pixel Shavings
    www.pixelshavings.com
    www.twitter.com/brasseale

14. seventeen thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks, I really appreciate a positive comment on this. I was super excited about it while I was designing it. Thought it looked really clean, and I really like the greyscale. Still thinking about what I can do with the large text...

Im thinking a bit smaller, maybe a dark-medium grey colour, and perhaps italic Georgia for the typeface. I'll play with it.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

15. seventeen thread starter macrumors member

I decided against, the italic Georgia for the welcome message, and kept the sans. lightened up the colour a touch and made it smaller...

Is this better anyone?

16. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

It looks good, the huge fonts is definitely a little to big. I also think the "from the 17 blog" and "feature work" fonts need to be bigger to stand out, so it is easier to see and understand what the links are for on the right side.

Nice!