New Site Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by TheZimm, Nov 8, 2008.

1. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

Hey,

I have my site on a wordpress domain; I was wondering what all would be included for me to move to my own domain, also any tips on what I could do on my site?

Thanks

Zym

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

you just need to purchase the domain i recommend godaddy.com and you have it point to your wordpress domain is the easiest way i can think of other wise you need to back up the entire site which can take hours or days

3. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

But what I wanted to do is like make my own theme and edit some stuff etc.

Zym

4. Maximillian macrumors 6502

5. musicmamma macrumors newbie

website with own domain name

hi, I created my website through iweb (+ mobile me paid up), I didn't like the really long URL that iweb gives you so I registered my own domain www.chantrymusic.co.uk I was able to get this all to point in the right direction by using zoneedit.com. Its quite a useful site and FREE! + I've got mac hosting my site.
    I started using the given templates in iweb but they are really boring + you soon want to add the bells and whistles! I have created my own page style now which I'm much happier with, I still have some linked pages though that are in the template style..takes a while to sort but I'm getting there.

I found the 'varkgirl' website really helpful-good tips on all sorts of iweb problems + in an easy to understand language...defo what I needed!!! ;)

6. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

thanks, and why dont you say not to touch go daddy?

Zym

7. Maximillian macrumors 6502

I've had bad customer service experience with them (they were one of a few registrars that had access to .me names before public registration started), not to mention that the go daddy site is extremely cluttered and unprofessional looking. I guess that I wouldn't give an internet-based company money if their online presence looks like crap.

8. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I feel bad that you had a bad experience. I had nothing then a great experience, as soon as i registered my domain, they called me a week later to see if i enjoyed my purchase it doesn't get much better than that

9. Maximillian macrumors 6502

They called me too, and asked about my intentions for each of the domains that I registered while trying to upsell me hosting and other services that I didn't want or need.