Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The group behind popular productivity app Todoist today launched a new team chat platform called Twist, which aims to make online collaboration more meaningful and efficient while minimizing distractions.

Eschewing the more traditional real-time chat channels common to services like Slack, the Twist interface instead splits channels into topic-specific threads that function like online message boards, while real-time conversations are initiated through separate direct messages.

Twist-app-800x498.jpg

New chat thread posts and replies are corralled into an inbox, allowing users to check and respond to collated messages when it's convenient for them to do so. The idea is that users no longer have to spend time scrolling through channel threads to find conversations that are relevant to them, and they won't be distracted by notifications and pop-ups when they're working.

In line with this philosophy, Twist has no online presence indicator, which is supposed to prevent other team members from expecting an immediate response whenever they post something. The developers say the UI and interaction method aims for a better balance between timely communication and distraction-free work.

Twist launched in beta in January but officially launched today. In terms of pricing, the communication platform has a free tier that limits archived and searchable messages to one month, while the Unlimited tier costs $6 a month, or $5 a month if paid annually.

Twist can be downloaded for free on Mac and iOS devices, with a web interface also available.

Article Link: New Slack Rival 'Twist' Aims to Streamline Team Interaction With Fewer Distractions

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
It sounds like a good interface, but I don't know if it should be necessary to have anything beyond group and direct messages, and I personally would rather not have to learn new messaging interfaces. My main problem with Slack is that it's buggy. They mention scrolling here. Well, I can't scroll up in Slack without it randomly skipping messages and lagging while it does it, and the search feature is really clunky. Makes it a total pain. Plus the notifications sometimes don't arrive, which has screwed me over in the past ("could you please do this ASAP?..."). I could keep ranting about all the other bugs, but you get the idea. I can't believe how many serious, fundamental problems there are with the messaging system everyone decided to use for some reason.

For work, I'd honestly rather use Facebook Messenger w/ several group chats than Slack just because everything on it works properly. That's how desperate I am. It's actually decent once you look past the annoying bloat in the app, and lots of clubs and stuff in college used to use it.

Last edited:
Comment

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Kinda looks like a forum in app form, I mean, threaded conversations in categories with added private messages seems all too familiar just in a different layout.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Looks an awful lot like Slack to me. Ive had no problem keeping up to speed with stuff we discuss on there since we have search.
Twist has more email-like UI in the form of threads. And filter seems more powerful.

Comment

catportal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016
I'm still not sure why there isn't one of these where it locks into a blockchain. Paying for these things seems... outdated.

How does a blockchain provide any value to a messaging application? Are you just trying to say fancy terms?

Reactions: samden
Comment

drumcat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
How does a blockchain provide any value to a messaging application? Are you just trying to say fancy terms?

No... the point is these things need to be securely decentralised. If you're using the app, you should be able to securely message without a centrally 3rd party database. If you have a bunch of clients, and they're using the same chain, it could be secure without having to plant all your company secrets on some third-party host.

Comment

catportal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016
No... the point is these things need to be securely decentralised. If you're using the app, you should be able to securely message without a centrally 3rd party database. If you have a bunch of clients, and they're using the same chain, it could be secure without having to plant all your company secrets on some third-party host.

What incentive would people have to host the blockchain? Makes absolutely no sense. If you want a distributed chat client, use IRC. If you want persistent distributed chat, make users save encrypted chat messages. This is a terrible usage of blockchain given the overhead + redundancy required for people to store the chain.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.