iPad New Smart Cover doesn't lay flat on screen when closed

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TripleP, Nov 2, 2014.

1. TripleP macrumors newbie

I bought a new Smart Cover yesterday for the Air 2 and noticed that it doesn't lay flat on the scren when closed. It sticks up about 2 mm between the first and second panels closest to where it connects with the iPad. Is this normal? Does it just need to settle in or did I get a bad cover? I'm rather annoyed about this given the $40 price point.

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

The case should 'relax' after awhile. Lay the iPad upside down for now... this usually helps.

3. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

4. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

Yup that is normal when it's new. Gravity will fix the issue over a few weeks.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

It was the same for the ones sold specifically for the iPad Air too. I think it's a design fault and I'm not sure if it will resolve itself over time.

6. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I bought an iPad Air 1 Smart Cover for my Air 2 because I wanted the true black version and it lays down perfectly, no gaps.

BJ

7. Sharkey311 Suspended

My iPad air 1 smart case did the same thing, still has the gap over a year later.

8. TripleP thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like this may be a known issue with the smart covers. Either way I'll probably give it a week or so and if the cover doesn't "settle in" then I'll take it back before my 14 days are up. A few days ago I saw a 2013 Smart Cover in black at staples and almost grabbed it. Is there any difference between the 2013 and 2014 models, other than color? I remember reading somewhere that the new one is thinner and has better magnets, but I don't recall where.

9. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Same here. I bought a red iPad Air 1 Smart Cover for my Air 2 from Staples, and it lays flat on the front. No issues at all.

10. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I noticed the same thing last night with my new iPad Air 2 Smart Cover. It's annoying!

11. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

Is the air 2 cover really thinner/lighter?

12. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I think the difference is the part that attaches to side. It's probably a little bit thinner to fit the narrow profile of the iPad Air 2.

13. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Ditto! I returned the iPad Air 2 Smartcover for the iPad Air unit which saved me $20 and doesn't lift off the surface of the iPad.

14. MacinAppleTosh macrumors member

I've gone through two that don't lay flat. I gave the first one over 3 weeks and it never "broke in". Went to exchange it thinking I could try a different one on a display model but they all had the metal clamps on the side. Took it home and sure enough it sticks up.
    Going to bring it back and bring my iPad in and hopefully they'll let me try until I find a good one, otherwise I just don't think its worth the $40.

Has anyone gotten one right out of the packaging that lays completely flat?