iPad New Smart Cover for iPad Air concerns

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphnhelp, Oct 23, 2013.

1. iphnhelp macrumors regular

The redesign of the new Smart Cover folds over 3 times instead of 4, like the current version. I've played with mini cover which is the same. It doesn't seem as sturdy for holding up the iPad, almost like the magnet could come lose at any time. With the old version you had one extra fold-over to hold it. So I'm not sure i want to get this new version for the Air.

I like the smart cover because it gives the iPad some friction on the back when it's folded over. And I don't want to put the whole thing in a case. But I'm not sure this new version is an improvement. (Plus, $40 is so crazy)

What's your experience with the 3 fold mini cover, do you think it will translate well for the Air

2. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

3. yegon macrumors 68020

Mini cover is alright, but notably inferior to the big Smart Cover I've have since the iPad 2's release. It does hold up on a flat surface but the magnets feel incredibly weak, just - and I mean just - strong enough to stay attached. Also don't like the angle it holds the mini at, further away from 90 degrees than the big Smart Cover, meaning if you're viewing straight on, it's angled slightly upward from ideal imo. If you can follow that, heh.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I have two 3rd party cases with covers, one three panels and the other four. The four panel cover does a significantly better job of holding my Mini in place to the point that I would not buy a cover with three panels.

5. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I've noticed this for the mini's smart cover. Anyone have alternatives?