New Smart Covers vs old

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by enigma2k, Apr 29, 2012.

1. enigma2k macrumors regular

Hi

I've seen that there are new smart covers that have printed "Smart Cover" at the top of the boxing. And at the back of the boxing it says: "Compatible with iPad 2 and newer"

Anybody tested it if there is any difference in magnet strength? I've often read here that there are differences in magnet strength.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I don't think there's much difference with magnet strength.

3. macemily macrumors newbie

I've never seen a new smart cover box that says it's for the new iPad, but the one I have for iPad 2 works just fine with the new iPad.

4. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Do they still put the new iPad into sleep mode?

5. ralphdaily macrumors regular

Gave up on iPad 3 Smart Cover

I was a big fan of the smart cover on the iPad 2, but it's bombed for me on the iPad 3. I got the new version of the smart cover. I don't think the issue is that much with weaker magnets, but instead the iPad 3 is so much heavier that the Smart Cover just won't hold it anymore. If you toss the iPad on the back seat of the car on the smart cover side, it just slides right out. It dinged the corners of my iPad unfortunately. This did not happen on the iPad 2. I am now ordering a real case, looking at the STM grip.

6. Scottyee, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

Scottyee macrumors regular

I've got both an older Apple smart cover (purchased back in February) as well as the latest one labeled "compatible with iPad 2 and newer) Apple smart cover (purchased 2 weeks ago). Both are black leather and were purchased at my local Apple Store. Both properly activate the iPad 3's sleep awake function.

Here are the differences I notice when used and compared on my iPad 3:

1) Magnetic strength of the newer smart cover is 5% weaker.
    2) Thickness of Leather of the newer smart cover is slightly thinner.

btw: I owned the Stm Grip and returned it and much happier with the Apple Smart cover in conjunction with an Incase Mag Snap back case I had received as a gift. I esp like its 2 magnets on the back approach offering the additional solid and stable "mid height" view angle optimally idea for viewing the ipad when seated at a table.

7. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I just purchased the Dark Grey one and I think it's the older version. 'iPad 2 compatible'. Works fine with my new iPad, (sleep mode, etc..).

Why did they bring out a new version when the old version works fine? Just curious :)

8. Scottyee macrumors regular

I assume utilizing slightly thinner leather and a less powerful magnet specification on the new version was done by Apple to reduce manufactering cost as the retail price ($69) of the leather cover has remained the same.

On the new "thinner leather" iPad Smart cover, I'm able to detect the outline of the magnet situated underneath the leather. This isn't noticeable whatsoever on my older version of the Smart cover. That said, I find the current smart cover adequate as both its weaker magnet strength and thinner leather thickness weren't enough to convince me to return it within the 14 day return period.

9. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I wonder if the same applies to the plastic version?