New SMS in 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, May 16, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Ok so i had this amazing idea! I am sorry if someone else has posted this already but here it is. Have you ever been reading an email, web page, playing a game, or just on an app and you get a text? Ok so you know how that text bubble pops up, don't you think it would be awesome if once the bubble popped up you could tap it and it would open up right there still in that transparent bubble, and you could right your message send it and close it and you'd be done? Instead of having to close the page you were on to be redirected to SMS and then go through the process of replying. Who else thinks this would be amazing if the idea could be proposed to the executives who work on the iPhone?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I think it's a great idea and actually some alternative SMS apps (the ones you get by jailbreaking) have that option. It would be nice if apple did it though...

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Why not?

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Why? I use this on a daily basis (iRealQuickSMS) and I love it. There is absolutely no ill effects to the performance of the phone. The only thing they haven't worked out is the screen auto-shutoff when the phone is locked. But once the screen goes black and you hit the home button, it stays lit until you are done typing what you need. Once you hit send it shuts off.

I think Apple really needs to take a look at this function. It's so seamlessly integrated and not having to close safari/game/whatever else, open SMS, type and send, close SMS, reopen original app is saving me all kinds of time. And I know how people are with their time around here.

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

There are so many cool things Apple could do to make the SMS app more useable, and this is one of them. I use irealquicksms to give exactly this functionality, and it's great. I'd love if Apple implemented it natively.

7. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

what are some other things they could do?

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

A cancel button.

Choice of bubble color.

More/custom SMS tones.

9. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't gmail trying this out where they give you like 5 seconds to cancel the email and then it sends?

and with the color yes that would be cool!

yea i would love to make a tone for sms because i make my own ringtones already from garage band

Heres another idea the new ipod can talk to you it would be interesting to see if they could ever make it so if you are working out or running or can't get out your phone while you have your headphones in you just click the mic and it speaks the text to you and then you can say like "reply" "close" or "delete" and it would do that function and be able to reply back what u say. or is this too far stretched?

10. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

The biggest things would be basically exactly what irealquicksms does - quick reply (let you reply from the pop-up) and quick compose (button shortcut to give you a new SMS from whatever app you're in). Another cool one, kind of similar to quick compose, would be to implement up or down-swipes on the springboard, and let you assign them to specific actions.. so up-swipe from the springboard could give you a new SMS. Also, letting you read whole messages and mark them as read from the lock screen (something intelliscreen does). Basically, Apple should take a look at all the jailbreak SMS utilities and appropriate their functions.

11. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

true! i wonder if they are working on this, because there was such an outcry for some of the features that were not present from 1.0 that are now present in 3.0 so maybe itll come out?

12. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I have been thinking about how something like this would be so convenient! I hope they do it.

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I hope so. But I think it will be a while before they add it though...