New Snow Leopard Cannot Find Mail or Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mtgee, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mtgee macrumors newbie

I just installed the new Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.2) a couple of times. I also ran Software Update a couple of times, and I thought I installed the new Safari and new Mail. I also restarted several times. But when I clicked the Mail and Safari icons, they were the old versions that will not run in the new Snow Leopard. I tried running Mail and Safari from the dock, from the desktop, and from Finder applications, but these were all the old versions.

However, when I clicked the Apple in the upper left corner, then ran Mac OS X Software, the new Safari (version 4.04) opened. From that, I was able to load the new Safari into the dock. I suspect the same thing happened with the new Mail - it's there someplace but Snow Leopard can only find the old Mail.

My iMac is a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, new in June 2009.

I would appreciate help in getting rid of the old Safari and Mail, and getting Snow Leopard to recognize the new versions. Thanks.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Look in the Applications folder. (cd /Applications; ls -l from a terminal to see date modified in descending order which can be informative) Are there two versions?

3. mtgee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I found an alias or a link or something that opened up the new Mail, and I was able to load the new Mail into the dock from that.

4. mac2x macrumors 65816