New Snow Leopard install versus Factory install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by demonsavatar, Jul 14, 2010.

1. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Did a search through here but couldn't find anything concrete.

What are the differences between a fresh Snow Leopard install and a factory Snow Leopard install?

I ask because I bought an Intel SSD and don't know if I should bother cloning the hard drive that will come with my new 15" MBP or I should just install a fresh copy from a Snow Leopard install disc.

I'm aware macs come with next to no junk pre-installed, but are there some factory settings that are worth preserving if they aren't documented well?

2. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

well if you don't have anything really to copy over, why not just install a fresh copy of snow leopard

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

The reason I did a fresh install on my new SSD was to eliminate the 5GB or whatever ridiculous amount of space was required for optional languages.

You can choose to install only your native language to save disk space.

Some people do a fresh install to opt out of the hundreds of printer drivers and just download them as they need them.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ditto! I always do a complete reformat when buying a new Mac right out of the box and removing the languages. Some people will recommend that you can use this Slimmer application but why install another app to remove other files? Just do a clean install.

5. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

i've been planning to do the same thing with my macbook pro when i get it. i also am planning to take out languages i don't need. yay for free Gigabytes!

6. halprin macrumors newbie

It depends. There are three things:
    1. Snow Leopard on the hard drive from the factory
    2. Snow Leopard on the hard drive by installing it from the DVDs that came with your computer (grey colored)
    3. Snow Leopard on the hard drive by installing it from the retail DVD that you bought separately

All of that to say that if you are using option 2 to do a fresh install, you will be fine. It is exactly the same as option 1. No need to clone.
    If, on the other hand, you have option 3, you will be missing at least one thing. That one thing is the free copy of iLife that comes with your computer. You will want to back up the iLife applications before removing the hard drive so that you will have your copy of iLife to put on the new hard drive.

7. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Ah thanks for the info guys. Yeah I will need all the space I can get since I will have an 80GB SSD. Getting rid of 5GB worth of languages alone is worth it.

Didn't know that iLife came with the laptop. I guess I will do the install from the disc that comes with the computer instead of a retail disc to retain iLife. I can uninstall iLife easily later though if I don't feel that I need it.

8. vant macrumors 65816

iLife is not on any OSX disk. It comes on the Drivers & Applications disk.

Thus installing Snow Leopard via any means is OK.

I would fresh install over factory just to eliminate the languages and printer files.

9. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Is there an easy way to remove the extra languages without doing a clean install?

10. elleana macrumors regular

Does doing an install using #2 but without any customization (just click yes/continue) all the way include languages and printer drivers?

11. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

google Monolingual

12. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Thanks!