Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Did a search through here but couldn't find anything concrete.

What are the differences between a fresh Snow Leopard install and a factory Snow Leopard install?

I ask because I bought an Intel SSD and don't know if I should bother cloning the hard drive that will come with my new 15" MBP or I should just install a fresh copy from a Snow Leopard install disc.

I'm aware macs come with next to no junk pre-installed, but are there some factory settings that are worth preserving if they aren't documented well?

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
well if you don't have anything really to copy over, why not just install a fresh copy of snow leopard

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
The reason I did a fresh install on my new SSD was to eliminate the 5GB or whatever ridiculous amount of space was required for optional languages.

You can choose to install only your native language to save disk space.

Some people do a fresh install to opt out of the hundreds of printer drivers and just download them as they need them.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The reason I did a fresh install on my new SSD was to eliminate the 5GB or whatever ridiculous amount of space was required for optional languages.

You can choose to install only your native language to save disk space.

Some people do a fresh install to opt out of the hundreds of printer drivers and just download them as they need them.

Ditto! I always do a complete reformat when buying a new Mac right out of the box and removing the languages. Some people will recommend that you can use this Slimmer application but why install another app to remove other files? Just do a clean install.

iamrawr

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
New Jersey
well if you don't have anything really to copy over, why not just install a fresh copy of snow leopard

i've been planning to do the same thing with my macbook pro when i get it. i also am planning to take out languages i don't need. yay for free Gigabytes!

halprin

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
Austin, TX
What are the differences between a fresh Snow Leopard install and a factory Snow Leopard install?

It depends. There are three things:
1. Snow Leopard on the hard drive from the factory
2. Snow Leopard on the hard drive by installing it from the DVDs that came with your computer (grey colored)
3. Snow Leopard on the hard drive by installing it from the retail DVD that you bought separately

All of that to say that if you are using option 2 to do a fresh install, you will be fine. It is exactly the same as option 1. No need to clone.
If, on the other hand, you have option 3, you will be missing at least one thing. That one thing is the free copy of iLife that comes with your computer. You will want to back up the iLife applications before removing the hard drive so that you will have your copy of iLife to put on the new hard drive.

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Ah thanks for the info guys. Yeah I will need all the space I can get since I will have an 80GB SSD. Getting rid of 5GB worth of languages alone is worth it.

2. Snow Leopard on the hard drive by installing it from the DVDs that came with your computer (grey colored)
3. Snow Leopard on the hard drive by installing it from the retail DVD that you bought separately

Didn't know that iLife came with the laptop. I guess I will do the install from the disc that comes with the computer instead of a retail disc to retain iLife. I can uninstall iLife easily later though if I don't feel that I need it.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
iLife is not on any OSX disk. It comes on the Drivers & Applications disk.

Thus installing Snow Leopard via any means is OK.

I would fresh install over factory just to eliminate the languages and printer files.

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009

All of that to say that if you are using option 2 to do a fresh install, you will be fine. It is exactly the same as option 1. No need to clone.
If, on the other hand, you have option 3, you will be missing at least one thing. That one thing is the free copy of iLife that comes with your computer. You will want to back up the iLife applications before removing the hard drive so that you will have your copy of iLife to put on the new hard drive.

Does doing an install using #2 but without any customization (just click yes/continue) all the way include languages and printer drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.