New software is giving me problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JCLrox, Feb 26, 2012.

1. JCLrox macrumors regular

JCLrox

I have a Summer 2001 iMac G3 with Mac OS 9, and today I decided to install some really old software from Merriam Webster. My guess was that I would get a dictionary application. The disk was rather scratched, but I didn't think it would be a big deal so I put the disk in and it said the software had been installed successfully. It then said that it was recommended to restart the computer, so I clicked restart and was faced with the little worst watch cursor for 10 minutes. Then I decided to shut down the computer so I pressed and held the power button. It started up, and everything went great until I got to the desktop. The wristwatch returned and has not left since. Does this mean that I somehow damaged my computer? Is there anyway to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jbarley, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Try starting in "Safe" mode, press and hold the shift key while starting, your computer should start and indicate to you that it is in Safe mode.
    This might get you going so you can at least take a look at what is happening.

3. JCLrox thread starter macrumors regular

JCLrox

Thanks, now I got the software off the computer. But the little wristwatch is still there when I restart outside of safe mode and the disk icon for the software CD is on my desktop.

4. JCLrox thread starter macrumors regular

JCLrox

It's all fixed! To eject the CD i pressed down on the mouse button while booting up.