new software update & airtunes streaming

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stevemoore, Nov 28, 2008.

1. stevemoore macrumors newbie

Hi

I have some high-end active speakers which work well with airport express.
    I want to buy an Apple TV and use it to send audio from the TV position to the speakers, meaning I can use the Apple remote (or the Remote app) to control volume as well as everything else.

Apple store people tell me I can only stream music - not movie sound - over the airtunes system. This seems crazy to me but they say it is a lipsync issue due to audio delay.

Has anyone tried this? What happens with video podcasts, for example?
    Can I choose multiple speakers to stream to (like I can in iTunes these days?)

I'd really appreciate any clarity anyone can bring.

Thanks

Steve

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I think what they mean is that you can use airtunes to play movies. This can actually be solved with a app called Airfoil. This applies to movies playing on your computer.

But what I suspect you are talking about is just playing a movie over the network on your TV with the AppleTV running into your stereo... this will work. As long as it is the AppleTV playing the movie...

3. stevemoore thread starter macrumors newbie

audio

thanks Louis

what I'm asking is:

"can I watch a movie/TV programme/video/video podcast/... with the video connected over component or HDMI direct to the screen AND the programme audio streamed to airport express AT THE SAME TIME"

have you tried it?

thanks

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I was pretty sure that you couldn't stream movie audio via AirTunes, but just to be sure I tried this experiment:

I used the Remote app to select a movie in my :apple:TV's library. When the movie started playing I tapped the screen on my iPod Touch, and got the speaker selector (AirTunes) at the bottom of the screen (which surprised me). I selected the airtunes speakers 'on', and although they were checked (indicating selected on) on the screen, no audio played from the speakers connected via AirTunes. Audio on the TV, connected via the :apple:TV, was normal.

To make sure the system was working normally otherwise, I selected some music, again using the Remote app and the :apple:TV's library. The music played from the TV normally; I selected the AirTunes speakers as an additional playback site, and they started playing the music too, in sync with the music coming from the TV.

Seems that the system is capable of syncing audio only at multiple playback sites, but can't do video and multiple audio. It doesn't look like it's set up to do what you want.

5. stevemoore thread starter macrumors newbie

bummer

thank you so much for checking it out for me

I wonder if it is to do with the HDCP on the video or just the sync

much appreciated