New Solution for Shattering Gorrilla Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KidStallyn, Jul 12, 2010.

1. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

So, I had an epiphany last night after perusing Mac Rumors, and seeing all the threads regarding people dropping their iPhone4 and having the glass shatter on them. Today, I submitted for a patent on what I'm calling iBags. Basically, it's an external case that features an Airbag deployment system that uses the accelerometer and gyro inputs to determine when an iPhone is falling. With iOS4, there will be a Free App that's down loadable through the App Store that will be running in the background. When this app determines that the iPhone is in a free fall, it deploys the air bag system in the case in order to cushion the blow. It fully encircles the device in an air filled cushion. This case will also have a re-pack feature that will allow this case to be used more then once.

I am now in the search for investors to help me make this new case a reality.

2. BadMoon macrumors 6502

:D:D:D:D:D:D

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Nice idea, but I doubt you could do it with how background apps currently work.

4. satirev macrumors 6502

Yeah sooo...what happens when you take it in the car...the app will think its falling because of the speed from the car...

5. Sc24evr macrumors member

you mean acceleration, not speed.

6. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

...it'll blow a hole in your pants pocket the size of a Chihuahua!

7. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

nice idea, but what happens when you fall and its in your pocket.

8. satirev macrumors 6502

No, i mean speed...

also, i think this idea would be obsolete once companies start coming out with replacement back panels that are made of materials other than glass...

9. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Getting up to speed in a car doesn't have rapid negative Z acceleration as a fall would. The accelerometer and gyro have x, y and z outputs. I'm already developing drop profiles to be used in the smart algorithms. Speeding up in a car has a drastically different x/y/z profile then a drop.

Furthermore, there is no explosive charges here like a car airbag system, just a rapid inflation of air using some new pump technologies.

10. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Fantastic. And when you do somehow manage to run this application in the background at all times, I can't wait for my airbag to deploy in my hand while I'm playing a game or shaking the phone to Undo. :rolleyes:

11. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Well, its...an interesting idea to say the least. I doubt you will find the investors for it as you would have to recuperate the cost of R&D, prototypes and testing in the shelf price of the case, and against the current case market prices you might find that hard. You will probably not be able to compete with a cheap replacement glass service either (if such a thing exists yet?).

Still, don't be discouraged, and I wish you the best of luck.

Edit: I assume you mean to inflate the airbag with a rapid air deployment system? In that case you would have to fit an air cylinder (or compartment) in the case, making it pretty hefty but I also don't know what health and safety measures need to be taken when keeping a pressurised air canister in your pocket? One defected product and the bad PR would bury your case. Also I wouldn't recommend taking it on planes!

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

13. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Have a talk with Tim Angel of Zoogue, make it happen.

14. satirev macrumors 6502

There are so many problems with this idea that it will honestly never happen.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would have thought that someone with satire in their hand would be able to recognize it.

16. Macjames macrumors 6502a

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

18. WilliamG macrumors G3

Erm. NO, the app would know if you're holding the phone, so it would only deploy if there's nobody holding it, duh. :)