Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Nice new Sony laptop:

http://en.akihabaranews.com/99944/l...s-new-ultra-mobile-with-the-redesigned-vaio-z

"Now what’s new here is that this Vaio Z comes with Sony’s Power Media Dock, that once connected to this monolithic base via LightPeack (Optical Cable) your Vaio Z will switch from its integrated Intel HD 3000 Graphics to an AMD Radeon HD 6650M with 1GB of RAM"

Doubt that Apple would do this in the new Air, but it is possible ..

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Great spelling of Lightpeak lol.

But wow, this is great. I thought Sony was reluctant to use TB and was opting for USB3? Anyway, it's great to see an actual product though.

And if you're going to bootcamp into Windows, then no Apple support is irrelevant as you can just buy a 3rd party external TB GPU, get drivers, and you're set. Though, I do hope that Apple will follow suit and offer support for OSX too.

Smurfed

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
I wonder if that portable AMD GPU is compatible with anything with a Lightpeak/Thunderbolt port.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
if this feature was in a mac, the macrumors community would be in full nerd-gasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.