New (soon-to-be) Owner, quick fitness question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SammyNad, Sep 9, 2016.

1. SammyNad macrumors newbie

SammyNad

I've used a few HR fitness watches before, so I have an idea of what I'm getting into with the AW. Do I need to select a workout to track calories, hr, etc? Garmin and Fitbit autotrack exercise - does the AW?

Thanks.

2. damezumari macrumors member

It does not autotrack. You have to start fitness app, choose type of activity, hit start (+- pause/resume) and eventually stop. Battery life when doing that is pretty awful on 38mm first gen one, esp. bicycling and marathon running it is close call if battery lasts the exercise :p

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just to add too.

It will track things like steps, distance, active calories (not as accurate) and even credit for some exercise minutes without the Workout app. But when doing any Workout activity you should run the Workout app as damezumari suggest.

4. SammyNad thread starter macrumors newbie

SammyNad

Ugh - not only do I find the manual start/stop to be a pain, I often forget to stop the tracking, so metrics are off.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

You can just raise your wrist and tell siri to start a workout.

"Use Siri to start a workout such as “start an outdoor run” or “start an other workout”."

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I have not used the Garmin or Fitbit activity trackers... Those only occasionally take a HR reading, so when they autotrack, do they automatically go into a continuous HR tracking mode? I know on the FB Charge, there is also a manual activity start/stop that forces the watch into continuous HR tracking. My hunch is that the AW behaves pretty similarly to the FB and Garmin's. Maybe the only difference is in the Activity app that does not show a formal fitness activity that the FB or Garmin mobile/web apps show. But, I suspect that the AW would capture everything the same as the other two.