new sound heard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Check 6, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

I have had this mac book pro for almost a year and I started hearing a new sound today ( may have actually been there all along and just noticed it today) a sound on moving air and or a hard drive spinning up in the lower right quadrant to the right of the track pad. I was using the computer in a very quiet room so it may be a normal sound first heard because of surrounding conditions. Is a fan located in that portion of the unit? thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

That is most likely the hard drive you're hearing.

3. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, but I never heard it before they replaced the HD last last week. I can place my hand on the case to the right of the track pad and silence the sound. The sound is constant.

4. marc11, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

marc11 macrumors 68000

Mechanical crap makes noise, siting in an uber quiet room concentrating on it makes it more apparent and some mechanical things make more noise than others.

Seriously if you are worried go back, but it's normal. Your old hdd made that noise too, I guarantee it, you just never paid attention.

5. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

actually there was a problem, when they installed the new hard drive it was not secured sufficiently and thus a slight vibration was transmitted through the upper case. All fixed now