Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Power Book G4 17" 1GHZ

tried all of the voodoo

restart , PRAM reset, HArdware test, PMU reset, jiggled the headphone jack
no sound with headphones'

There is not even a chime at startup

Checked in the profiler and it didn't appear to be recognizing a soundcard or speakers

Where do I check in the profiler

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you checked the sound prefpane to make sure the output is up and the mute is off?

Also, any programs you have running at startup that have any jurisdiction on sound output? Check you startup programs in the accounts prefpane to make sure you know what they all are.

Geoff J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you checked the sound prefpane to make sure the output is up and the mute is off?

Even when the sound prefpane is zeroed and the mute is on, the chime should still be audible at startup - which it is not

Make/model of the soundcard is... ???

I bought it here:

http://www.ifixit.com/PowerBook-Parts/G4-Aluminum-17-Inch-1-GHz-Sound-Card/IF155-006

When the old sound card was in there, i would tap on the laptop casing near the sound card, and the sound would come on intermittently and then konk out

somebody had mentioned something about possibly needing a driver

not sure what that's about

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
Even when the sound prefpane is zeroed and the mute is on, the chime should still be audible at startup - which it is not

No, if you shutdown with your Mac on mute, you shouldn't hear the start-up chime when rebooting. At least that's the case with every Mac I've owned or used.

In relation to drivers, your sound card may need a driver that isn't already in OSX. Have a look on the website of the sound card manufacturer to see if there are any drivers that need to be downloaded.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Sorry but...

I presume the powerbook lost its sound. So you purchased a new sound board and fitted it?

You won't need a driver. Are you sure its the correct part for that machine. The PowerBook 17" had more that one version. Some are not compatible in each others machines.

I think you should take it to an AASP. Get a quote. Could be the cable, logic board or the soundboard being incorrect. They can diagnose the fault before you spend too much. If your lucky you could find one that does a free diagnosis fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.