New Spaces Behaviour in 10.5.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mckyvlle, May 31, 2008.

1. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else noticed the new Spaces behaviour in 10.5.3?

From http://daringfireball.net/2008/05/spaces:

*Emphasis mine.

This must be a godsend for those who really wants Spaces to be task-oriented rather than app-oriented!

Simply put, there is a lot less being automatically swooshed around now. It is easier to open a new window of an app in the current Space, without having to drag a window from another Space.

Too bad this still does not address auto-swooshing when apps call for attention. You are still swooshed to the Space where the app is calling for attention. (Thunderbird, I'm looking at you! :mad:)

Still, I love this new Spaces improvement! It is miles better than relying on the "no autoswoosh" hack!

Gotta love Apple for listening to feedback and making improvements! :)

2. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Funny how the Spaces updates didn't make the high level Fixes & Updates list for 10.5.3, but this post makes sense of the differences I've seen.

I happen to like working in "app orientated" mode (since I work with 4 key apps most of the time, which suits four spaces). It's a shame that this new functionality has seemed to have broken how I work with Lightroom and CS3.

Until I figure out how to work with the new functionality, that is.

3. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Right now, I have this option checked. Does this mean if I uncheck it and launch Adium, it won't automatically take me to space #3, where I see Adium launching the buddy list and other windows?

4. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you set Adium to launch in Space #3, the first time you launch Adium, you will be automatically switched to that space. Now, say if you moved off to another space and you click Adium's Dock icon once, you will make Adium the active app (Adium takes over the menubar), but you will not switch to Space #3. You have to click Adium's Dock icon again to switch to its space.