New Spec smartshell redesign is bad.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shnn2011, Mar 4, 2013.

1. shnn2011, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

shnn2011 macrumors member

shnn2011

I just bought a fully loaded non retina MBP and picked up a Spec smartshell.

It seems that the Spec smartshell was redesigned and is a bit thinner than it was previously.

I notice that when you try to open up the Macbook with the new Spec smartshell, the speck shell clip near the opening lip on the LCD grinds and pops off then flexes back and pops on again.

It is very annoying and could potentially scratch the laptop.

After one exchange, and a thorough inspection of the other cases at the apple store, it seems that all of the new Specs are like this.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Here is a nice little video for y'all.
    http://youtu.be/-ifoKzBGhoM

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Must've been a recent change. Got my speck shell for my 13" mbp last July and its fine. Was it the same price? $49.99 I believe.

3. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

They are 49.99. I bought it like 3 days ago and did an exchange 2 days ago. I also got one a couple of months ago. The older one was ok.

4. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

5. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

Yes you are correct it is called smart shell.

Is there an issue with the smart shell?

Is the hard shell better?

6. kensic macrumors 6502

i have a cMBP 15" also. got excited for the "smartshell" speck...bought it didnt like it so returned it....and got the previous generation.

i think the older generation protects it better.

7. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

Is not a very smart case is it?

8. kensic macrumors 6502

nope, but i bet i was cheaper for them to make. yea i would just get the original version. so much better

9. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

What is the original called and or cost?

I have an Incase as well.

Much tougher and heavier plastic.

Thought: But, if I return the smartshell, I got to get store credit. What should I get Maybe a magic mouse? Maybe not good for gaming. Gift Card or something . . .

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The reviews are very good for the Smart Shell, I'm wondering if the OP got a counterfeit (lots of counterfeit out there on the speck cases), or if possibly he\she just got a bad one. I too am considering getting the SmartShell. I didn't like the old speck shells because they were so thick they added too much heft to the product, but the smartshells are supposedly ultra-thin and provide less protection, but also add less thickness.

Anyone with a smart shell have any experience comments?

11. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

i got the newer smart shell and notice the clip around the opening latch does not grab onto the screen lid tight. every time i open the lid by lifting that area the speck case would lift up first making a pop sound and then the clip on the speck case would pull the screen up. however, i also have an older smartshell case bought a few months ago and does not inhibit this problem.
    the thing that i notice improved on my newer smartcase is "better fitting". the older smartcase had trouble fitting in flush on the screen lid, perhaps this is what contributed to a tighter fit and no popping sound.

perhaps i will pull out my good'ol heat gun and see what i can do. it's just a little loose at the lid opening area.

12. kensic macrumors 6502

see if you can get your money back. buy the original (the name of the original is that it doesn't have "smartshell" on it).

i would recommend buying it on amazon for half the price. i bought mine used from amazon warehouse condition as "used-new". and im so happy that im not paying 50$ at the apple store.

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Product...499630&sr=8-9&keywords=macbook+pro+speck+case

that's the exact one that i got. it was 10$ cheaper when i bought it

13. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

I doubt it's a counterfeit, because I got it at the Apple store.

I also had one exchange, and even checked BestBuy's cases.

Don't get me wrong, everything else on it is ok. It's just the clip covering the lip where your finger goes to open the laptop.

Even the manufacturing process seems cheaper on the newer ones. When you first get them some times there is barely noticeable excess plastic on the edges that you have to scrape off with your fingernail. Not a big deal, but not worth 50 dollars MSRP.

14. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Well yeah they've never been worth $50, hehe.

I think you have the old version, not the SmartShell, because Best Buy and Apple stores don't have them yet from what I've seen.

15. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

No I'm in Houston they move too much inventory to hold on to the old stuff. As a matter of fact the box even says new design.

16. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

17. aman20177 macrumors regular

Hey,

Yep! After 3 exchanges all with the same issues and a bowing problem with the bottom piece I quit using cases all together and returned to using Sleeve's. Much happier now :)

18. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

Honestly, the Incase is much better.

I think that the Apple tree :apple:, I mean, store has stopped selling them because they are no longer listed online.

It does not matter, because while convenient, the Apple store :apple: is a bit more expensive.

Then again, were buying 3000 dollar Macs here not 200 dollar Lenovos, so whats 30 bucks here or there.

As far as sleeves go, the Thule Gauntlet 2 is freaking awesome.
    :D

19. aman20177 macrumors regular

Yeah! That's the sleeve I bought :) I receive it tomorrow! Are you finding it good? Only issue is I hope it fits in my Spigen New Coated Backpack. So you recommend the Incase? Which hard shell did you get?

I tried the Speck Smartshell and the Moshi iGlaze Pro. Both were terrible so I quit all together.

20. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

Yeah I had the original Thule 13 inch, the 15 inch original Gauntlet, and the 15 inch Gauntlet 2. The Gauntlet 2 and original are about the same.

They are awesome cases.

Just don't wipe it down with alcohol it will melt off the coating. Use soap water or detergent.

Also, be careful when closing the laptop and the case together (Simultaneously) , the side straps have a tendency to fold into the case causing them to end up between the lid and body of the laptop.

You have to hold the sleeve and close the laptop, then close the sleeve and zip it.

I use the Incase satin finished shell, and the Thule together with no problems.

I have also seen a version of it on Apple's website that is like a briefcase which allows you to-house many accessories.

I hope this was helpful.

Maybe I should get into doing reviews. . .

21. aman20177 macrumors regular

Nice! Yea, I'm keen to receive it tomorrow and see how it goes. I hear the Gauntlet 2.0 has a velcro strap rather than a fixed one. Has this been an issue for you? I might take a look at the Incase Satin case and try it out. Any issues with scratches or pitting? How often have you been cleaning it?

----------

I can't seem to find it on the incase website? Are you able to link me please?

----------

This one? http://goincase.com/products/detail/hardshell-case-cl60178#img1

22. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

The Velcro strap makes it easier to get the laptop in and out. The lip hides the zipper minimizing the risk of the zipper scratching the laptop.

Also, the inside is soft and felt-like covered by a stitched mesh. Overall, it is a very high quality design. No other case I have seen matches it quality wise or protection wise. Not even the really expensive ones.

When the outside gets dirty, I put a couple of drops of dish washing detergent on a napkin or towel and rub it down. then go over it with a wet and dry towel.

I once made the mistake of using a pre-wet alcohol based sanitary towel. It rubbed off the finish of my old one a bit.

Also, it is pretty splash proof, so rain should not be an issue.

You will probably like it. I do.

23. aman20177 macrumors regular

Nice, I might create a review of the Gauntlet 2

24. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

It will be useful to many people.