New Speck Candy Shell colors also include update!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tom McMahon, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Tom McMahon macrumors member

I'm glad to report that along with Speck's new Candy Shell colors, comes an update to the product itself.

First, the soft part is softer. My wife has an original Candy Shell and side by side the inside of mine is noticeably softer.

Second, the area around the vibrate switch is now the soft inner material rather than the rigid outer.

Third, and this is a major improvement, they've modified the volume switch area as well as the power switch area so that now there is a definite tactile feel to turning your phone on or off as well as changing the volume. HUGE improvement.

Also of note, they are no longer made in China. Seems they've switched to a vender in Taiwan.

Now the negative, the rubber area around two of the corners has already cracked away from the rigid material. While I don't mind it (barely noticeable) some might find it annoying. Also, the hole for your headphones is slightly more off center. Again, my headphones still fit, but others might not.

One item I would add, please Speck, add a dock connector plug like Switcheasy...please.

Tom

2. newtomac1032 macrumors member

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

This was my biggest issue with the previous models. I would pick up the black on gray if this were resolved.

4. Tom McMahon thread starter macrumors member

The difference is night and day. The new version buttons are a soft enough material that you can feel the button 'click'. Good luck getting that to happen with the original. Like I said, button feel/function is a HUGE improvement.

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I have to say, comparing the Black and Gray to the Black and Yellow is identical. I see no difference at all. The rubber feels identical, the buttons push the same way, and the mute switch cut out is the same. I don't see any of these improvements you mentioned at all.

I bought my Black and Yellow one in June, so maybe it's possible you have an older one, and they already switched with the late models of the old ones, because other than color, there's no difference in mine.

EDIT: OK, I looked at the inside of the Yellow case, and I see it says "designed in california, made in taiwan" so I guess my initial thought was correct, they switched manufacturers and did in fact run some old colors with these changes you mentioned. Now I wish I had an old one to compare!

6. V4705 macrumors 6502

damn, i have three candyshells (old version) and they all made in china.
    i want the improvement one but i don't like the new colors, i can't understand why they stop with the previous colors schemes, i know the gray-green and white-red sold great.
    but maybe its for a good, i prefer to push hard than have a cracked corners :\

btw, if the new inner material is more flexible so its definitely much more protective case!

7. jparris1 macrumors regular

I just got my Batwing Black and can confirm that the power button does indeed now have some tactile feedback. It is a nice improvement.

8. chelc macrumors newbie

I want to order one of these so bad, but the shipping to Canada is unreal! I'm going to have to see if I can find one in a store around here.

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I got my new candyshell today in purple and the power button is 100% better. I went directly from the old white/red candyshell to this one so the difference was especially dramatic. There's no resistance at all, this was a better improvement than the colors. But I do really love my purple :)

10. egk69 macrumors 6502

bahh!! I hate those Speck Candy Shell!!

the bottom center piece of mine broke in less than 3 Weeks! the hard part of it even fell away!!

I like that it is Hard outside, and Soft on the inside, and they look very nice!, but i hate that it breaks so easy!

BTW: Im talking about the OLD one, maybe the new one is better....

11. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Here's some pics (sorry for the bad quality, it was taken with the iphone :p) of the pink/purple AT&T exclusive. The back and then the inside :)

Attached Files:

12. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Thanks for those! I was wondering what it looked like, if it had the same pink interior as the pink-on-pink Candyshell. I might have to swing by the AT&T store to see if they have any. :)