New Spotlight in iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Bbqthis, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Anyone have a screenshot/ video of how the new spotlight functions in iOS 10 for iPad?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm using it daily and can't think of any differences. What should we be looking for?

3. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I read that when you invoke spotlight while in an app, it launches over the current app instead of going to springboard first.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You can open Notifications while in an app which does have a Spotlight search bar included at the top. Otherwise, it works the same.

5. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Really? Because in several sites I read that invoking spotlight with CMD+Space no longer redirects to Springboard before opening the search bar (as if you were invoking spotlight with a mid screen down swipe on Springboard).

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I believe that is only when using a physical keyboard (could easily be in incorrect...can't recall exactly where I heard it, was a podcast).

7. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Well yeah, because without a physical keyboard you can't invoke spotlight in an app. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Anyway, does anyone (using iPad Pro on iOS 10 and a physical keyboard) have a video/ screenshots of how it works when you launch spotlight while in an app?

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, momentary brain fart on my part there. :p Don't have my iPP on me, wasn't sure if the soft keyboard even had a cmd button and could be used to invoke the shortcut if in a text entry field in an app.

9. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

But you can invoke Spotlight in an app without a keyboard in iOS 10. Two ways. Pull down Notification Center and tap the search bar. Or pull down as if you're pulling down NC but stop when you just see the search bar, hold for a second and then let go.

I don't know about with a keyboard (I don't use a physical keyboard with my 12.9" Pro) but without a keyboard it just launches into the app without "exiting the current app and launch the new one from the home screen."

10. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Right. But no one has a video of it in action?