Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rduffy39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
Basking Ridge / Philadelphia
The new El Capitan spotlight search isn't working for me. It works just as it did on Yosemite. I type "weather" and spotlight wants me to open the weather channel app. I am connected to the internet, and I have everything possible checked off in the Spotlight section in System Preferences.

Thanks all!

alperduran217

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
Istanbul
I have the same problem. I think it's about different language. My El Capitan is Turkish in the web page about the features of El Capitan they aren't mentioned spotlight features. What is your language of El Capitan?

gabz90

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
I have the same problem. I think it's about different language. My El Capitan is Turkish in the web page about the features of El Capitan they aren't mentioned spotlight features. What is your language of El Capitan?

My language is English (US) and I have the same problem, spotlight behaves just as it did in Yosemite

omzie

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
The new El Capitan spotlight search isn't working for me. It works just as it did on Yosemite. I type "weather" and spotlight wants me to open the weather channel app. I am connected to the internet, and I have everything possible checked off in the Spotlight section in System Preferences.

Thanks all!
Buddy goto system preferences, click on spotlight, uncheck all the fields including the one at the bottom that says Allow spotlight suggestions, then check it all back again and your spotlight should be working fine on El Capitan.

Reactions: Sofad

oeyvind

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
is this thing region specific? I can't get it to work since public beta... :(

My OS langauge is US English, but weather does not work, nor natural language search works.... I'm in Singapore BTW.

Te0SX

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Lol mine too. Is just the Yosemite spotlight....first time I didn't make a clean install and boom...at least everything else run perfect. (As an alfred user, I can wait for an 10.0.1 to fix it)

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Hi all, I am experiencing some problems too with the new spotlight, and I think I've found something interesting. I was running the iOS 9 GM on my iphone 5s and spotlight suggestions were working fine. Same thing on my macbook with the GM El Cap beta. Then I've installed the official release on the iphone and spotlight suggestions stopped working... while on wifi! Strangely enough they work fine when I'm on cellular.
Today I've updated my other machine (an iMac) from Yosemite to El Cap and spotlight suggestions as well as natural language input didn't work while on wifi. Inspired by the weird iPhone "bug" I've then connected the iMac to the internet through the iPhone on cellular via the hotspot function, and boom: spotlight suggestions started working properly on the iMac: web and wikipedia results, natural language and so on.
The weird thing is that I have this strange malfunction on an iPad, iMac and iPhone, while the macbook works fine even on wifi.
Maybe all of you who cannot make this work can do this quick test and check if the cellular connection suddenly makes spotlight suggestions work.
BTW For anyone who's keeping score: I'm located in Germany but my language and region settings are Italian and Italy.

Rub3n NL

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015

Thanks all!

Same here... It seems to be very erratic. Sometimes it does return the right results, and sometimes it doesn't.
It doesn't show any photos. I tried to create a new spotlight index. Now it's a bit better. But not even close to what was promised.. Whether forecasts do show up sometimes...
I want my money back!;-)

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Hey I solved it! the problem is not the wifi, but the DNS settings: for some reason my ISP (Deutsche Telekom) is blocking the queries for the online stuff: on my laptop I have Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and that's why it worked.
I have now set them up on the iMac as well and I get wiki results and natural language as well.
It does not seem to give decent results from the photos app, though, and I have to understand better how that works.

oeyvind

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8, even reset Safari search engine to Google... yet nothing works :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 21.14.15.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 21.14.15.png
    519.8 KB · Views: 121

Rub3n NL

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Hey I solved it! the problem is not the wifi, but the DNS settings: for some reason my ISP (Deutsche Telekom) is blocking the queries for the online stuff: on my laptop I have Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and that's why it worked.
I have now set them up on the iMac as well and I get wiki results and natural language as well.
It does not seem to give decent results from the photos app, though, and I have to understand better how that works.

Tried the DNS thing, did not change it for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.