New Square iPod nano really a new iPod Shuffle

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Macdude2010, Aug 27, 2010.

?

What is the Square iPod?

1. The 6th generation iPod Nano

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. A iPod shuffle/New iPod

55 vote(s)
    70.5%
  1. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

A lot of people are saying that the new iPod nano is going to be square with no click wheel and have a touch screen that is 1.7 inches. This doesn't make sense. Apple has been increasing the size of the screen for 5 years so it wouldn't make sense for apple to all of a sudden drop the screen size down to the original screen size of the nano of 2005. I think apple will use this touch screen for a new iPod shuffle (or perhaps a new iPod.) I think that the iPod nano is going to keep it's form factor but the click wheel is going to be replaced by a touch screen control.

What do you think?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think this point has been made many times and it doesn't need it's own thread for the 100th time. I still think it's a Nano.

3. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Yeah it wouldn't be the first time apple downgraded a product. If the nano ends up dropping both the classic and shuffle from the line up & is a touch screen, no more iPods for this cat.

4. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

What if the new square iPod replaces the current shuffle, under the name iPod Nano. And the current nano just gets a small update and renames to just iPod, the current iPod Classic is discontinued. And the touch gets more capacity?

It makes no sense to discontinue the current nano and replace it with a much smaller square shaped iPod. Or maybe the square shaped iPod just is the new shuffle. Or the rumored square shaped screen isn't used at all in the iPod line...

Four more days before we know fore sure...

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

It'd be nice if the current iPod classic was reintroduced with the same capacities in a smaller form factor.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I doubt Apple would make the current shuffle bigger even if it meant better functionality. We all know how they always stick to their guns even when proven wrong.

7. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

I think its a shuffle, I think Apple will drop the nano and the classic-if you think about it, if Apple did this, it would dramically drop the prices on the touch-and the regualr buyers of nano would buy the touch-
    btw if this happens the ipod touch will be renamed just "ipod"

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah that's the back side of it. I was messing around though, will probably edit it more.

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

it almost cant be a nano if for nothing else other than the nano is overdue for 32 gigs of storage. Even 16 in that little square seems pretty unlikely...

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

What are the odds of the new nano having a wifi chip to stream Internet radio?

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yeah, u gotta edit an awful lot more....dual screens? next they will add Donkey Kong. Terrible mock up!

14. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I don't see Apple downgrading the iPod nano, if anything that screen is for a next gen. Shuffle, Apple has probably realized that their Shuffle 3G has gotten negative reviews and relatively poor sales. The screen could also be used for the next gen. Apple TV perhaps?

15. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

One of the many requests for the 3rd gen nano was to add video. So why would they downsize? I dont think many would want to watch video on a small 1.5" screen

Its the new shuffle. But the screen will NOT be multi touch, but rather tacktile like the Blackberry storm, thus allowing you to control it with out looking at it.

16. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I actually really like this mock up, thanks for sharing! I hope the new nano looks like that, or maybe with just one 2.8" touchscreen that iLounge pointed out potentially.

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Okay well maybe not dual screens but how about a large screen with the bottom portion multi touch?

[​IMG]

18. Usernames Suck macrumors member

I saw this and I thought that it might work.

19. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

I like that, the new "shuffle" and the Nano updates with touch screens, But either way I still want a classic, I need more space(as my 30gb was stolen so i will be looking to buy a new one)

20. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!!!

... wait a second....

21. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

22. Eric4082 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't want a square screen because i watch a lot of wide screen video on my ipod and how would you control the content on a screen that small, all its good for is seeing the album artwork of the track that you are listening to!!

What i do like thought is the idea of a wide touch screen ipod, that would be incredible! i would go out and buy one of those!

23. Eric4082 macrumors newbie

Why not just make the whole screen multi-touch! making half of it touch sensitive is just ilogical!

24. Eric4082 macrumors newbie

/tmp/PreviewPasteboardItems/The next ipod range-1 (dragged).tiff
    i thought this was a pretty good mockup of the rumored next gen shuffle. it would make sense as apple has used this style on the iphone!

25. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

That looks awesome dude. So sleek.