New SR Macbook pro has really washed out colors!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbboy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dbboy macrumors newbie

The colors are much richer on my older 7 month old machine???
    I can't calbrate it either. I get a "The factory profile for the display could not be found." message. Any tips? Is this a defective display?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You are comparing it to a PeeCee.

PeeCees uses gamma 2.2 colour profiles which means they do show richer colours, also you have not calibrated the display yet, they do show up a lot better after calibration.

Apple does not do everything for you, you know... it does not "just work"!

Edit: corrected :p

3. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

PCs are actually 2.2, Macs are 1.8 by default, which might look a little brighter or washed out as you might say. You can start off trying to change the gamma to 2.2 by going to System Preferences -> Display -> Color -> Calibrate -> Don't check "Expert Mode" -> 2.2 Television Gamma. If that doesn't help, you can try Expert Mode or use a program called SuperCal. In my experiences, calibrations by naked eyes are a little hard and depends a lot on external factors like your viewing angles, etc.

4. dbboy thread starter macrumors newbie

This is compared to a 7 month old C2D macbook pro, with the older screen.
    The LED screen is much less "color rich"
    -RS

5. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I don't think it has anything to do with the LEDs. I'm pretty sure Apple have modified their default color profile on all of the new MacBook Pros, including the 17" models which don't have LEDs. I can tell a difference, particularly in whites and light grays, between my new SR 17" and my old C2D 15". I just can't decide which one I like better---and I can't seem to get a great calibration using the built-in tools and the naked eye.

6. G. I. macrumors member

The Color LCD profile on Apple laptops is gamma 2.2.