New SR MacBook Pro - LoJack and Virus Protection?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arcanic, Jun 15, 2007.

1. arcanic macrumors regular

arcanic

Hi everyone,

Firstly, let me tell you all that I'm in IT...and I've ALWAYS worked with PC only. When I went into the Apple Stores, I walked right by the MacBooks.....until the other day when I MADE myself play with Tiger.

I was blown away and ended up getting a SR 17" MacBook Pro. I LOVE IT!! I wish I would have not been so damned hard headed and jumped in a lot sooner.

Anyway, now that I'm all Apple Fanboy, I want to PROTECT my new beauty. I got the Apple Care plan....now I'm looking at LoJack and some sort of virus protection.

My question for you all---- Do any of you have either one of these, and if so, would you recommend me getting them? I carry my laptop EVERYWHERE with me, so I'm thinking the LoJack thing sounds good.

Thanks in advance....looking forward to Leopard and iPhone!

Arc:D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't use either. LoJack could be a good idea but the antivirus software is almost certainly unnecessary on the OSX side. If you choose to run Windows on the machine then you'll definitely want protection, just as you would on a regular PC. However, at present there are no real risks for the OSX platform and no sign of any coming along anytime soon. Have a search 'round this site for more opinions on the matter. Some people insist on using antivirus and some say it's unnecessary. Almost everyone agrees it's not necessary now, but that won't necessarily always be the case. Welcome to Macs and I promise not to use the word necessary or its derivatives in this thread again.