new SR MBP, problems with airport after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Megatron, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Megatron macrumors regular

Hello,

I just got a new SR MBP - the 2.2 GHZ 15" model.

Great laptop, but I am having a slight problem with the airport.

When I wake the laptop from sleep, it won't connect to the wireless network at my house that it was using before sleep just fine.

After I click on the network name several times and after several "there was an error trying to connect to the network" messages later, and after about 5 minutes, it will connect to the network!

I'm using a WPA network, and I'm not sure what the problem is. The connection is fine after I go through all of that. Alternatively, it works fine if I just reboot the machine.

Does anyone have any ideas? My old g4 ibook had no problems waking from sleep and connecting to this very same network.

Thank you

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

This happens with my netgear router but I have a workaround.

We have an iMac, a Mini and a MacBook connected wirelessly to it. Until recently, when my wife woke her MB from sleep, it would take several minutes to connect.

But it seemed it was the router ... the same thing happened with a Windows laptop.

After we got the Mini, which sits under the TV, and is on permanently, there were similar problems with it connecting to the wireless network after being left alone for some time (not going to sleep, just not being used).

It was almost like the router was going to sleep if it didn't get any contact for a certain amount of time, and it took some time to respond to subsequent connection attempts.

I "fixed" this by regularly pinging the router from the Mini every 10 minutes, by opening a Terminal and typing "ping -i 600 192.168.0.1". This seems to keep the router aware that there are computers on the network.

But, as you say, your iBook had no problems connecting, so it's likely not your router. But it shows similar symptoms can have different causes.

3. Megatron thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply - I think though that the router isn't asleep, because there are a few other pcs at the house that are connected to it.

Maybe it just takes a while for this particular card to connect? This time I let the mbp wake up, waited a minute and there was no connection, so I clicked on my network name in the airport dropdown menu, waited another minute or two, and now everything is connected and fine.

It just seems to me it shouldn't take that long? And it doesn't when I reboot the computer.

4. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

I'm having the Exact same prob.
    It's not your router. I travel a ton and every hotel that has wireless I have to wait like 2- 3 min to connect. When I get home though it works perfect.
    It all started when I downoaded the "N" upgrade. Never been the same since.
    Tried deleting .plst and a few other things but nothings working.