New SSD and Audio Problem (not cause and effect)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boxer757, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Boxer757, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

Boxer757 macrumors member

Hello all, hopefully that title fairly represents this post. I have a mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro (5,5) 2.53 core duo 8GB RAM running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I just got my 512GB Crucial M4 SSD in the mail and am raring to get that thing installed. I've done my research but still have a few questions and a bit of a unique situation.

First and foremost, what makes my question somewhat unique is that I have been experiencing problems with my audio output. Many times I try to turn up the volume either by the f11 and f12 keys or on the toolbar and it only goes up one "notch." The graphic displays all bars being filled, but the actual sound never increases any further. The same thing happens when I plug in headphones - one constant level. However, if I plug in the headphones, turn the volume up and down, and then unplug the headphones - that will sometimes fix the problem and everything functions normally.

I took my MBP in to the Mac store a few times and they never could figure it out. They even replaced the logic board to no avail. Now it's out of Apple Care and they suggested it could be an application and that I should uninstall applications one by one and see if that does anything. Seeing as how I have a couple hundred apps, I would really rather not mess with that.

So here's where the SSD fits in - I'm debating the two most common OS install methods I've read about - cloning my HDD to the SSD versus a "clean install" in which I buy Mountain Lion, install that on the SSD and then use migration assistant to install my apps and documents and such (hopefully I have that process right, links to any great walkthroughs are welcome :)).

It seems to me that the easiest thing would be to just clone my HDD to the SSD. However, if a clean install might remedy the issue I am having with my sound, I would rather give that a shot.

Can anyone advise me on this? Clone the HDD or do a clean install? Does anyone know how I could just fix my audio as is and not worry about it?

Thanks for any input!

(P.S. one other minor question - I have a 50 GB bootcamp partition on my HDD right now - will either of these methods preserve that partition? I don't really care too much, but it would be nice to keep)

2. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

could it be a plist thing?

maybe nuke your preferences for audio?

3. Boxer757 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, so try going into the Library>Preferences and then deleting an audio related plist? Is it safe to do that?